Q. I have a painful white scab in nostril and green mucus while coughing. Is it serious?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan

I have a white scab on the inside of my right nostril. It has been there for over a week now. It is very irritating and it hurts when I touch it. I am coughing up alot of green mucus. I was given Amoxicillin for pharyngitis a week ago and thought that would have killed any bacteria that I had.

#

As per what you say, you have a white scab in your nose. It can be due to viral or allergic rhinitis. You have taken Amoxicillin for pharyngitis. So no need to take any antibiotics now. Just clean your nose with salt water 2 to 3 times a day, the scab will get loosened and will drop off. Do not try to remove it with force. Otherwise, it will bleed. Even after using a saline wash, it is not getting removed, take help of ENT doctor. He will also prescribe you medicines for rhinitis also. Though it not a serious problem you should consult ENT doctor.

Allergy, viral infection.

Rhinitis.

Saline nose wash.

|