Q. How to treat loose motions in a 12 days old baby?

Dr. Deepak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 12 days old baby boy has more frequent loose motions of up to 15 to 20 times a day. I am afraid of this. What is the treatment for this?

#

I can understand your concern.

• At 12 days of age, there can be increased frequency of stools, but the stool amount should be very less and not watery.
  • The stools can be green or yellow in color, which is normal at this age. However, if there are decreased feeding, fever, watery stools, and a drop in the activity, then chances of sepsis are quite high.
  • In my opinion, I suggest probiotic like Enterogermina ampule half ampule once a day for three days.
  • An examination by a doctor should also be done so that we may not miss any significant finding.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

My kid was vomiting frequently and now has loose stools. What can be the issue?

Query: Hello doctor, My dear daughter just completed 1 year yesterday and still on breastfeed (twice, a full day) along with normal food. She is lactose intolerant and was hypocalcemic (less calcium) by birth. Her doctor gave her OstoCalcium and retested after six months and she turned to be absolutely fi...  Read Full »

Natural Sources and Health Benefits of Probiotics

Article Overview: This article explains about probiotics, their health benefits, and natural sources of probiotics. Read Article

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Probiotics are naturally occurring bacteria in our gut. The word 'Probiotic' is derived from a Latin word 'Pro’ meaning ‘Promoting’ and the Greek word 'Biotic' which means 'Life.' Probiotics are live microorganisms in the gut that have several health benefits. Many kinds of ba...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»