Q. What is the treatment of painful groin cysts?

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

I have two groin cysts. They are red and purple lumps under the skin, the size of a 50c Austrian coin, and are painful to touch. I have two of them next to one another and are on glands and arteries, and blood vessels. I have been given a double dosage of antibiotics, and a 50 % chance antibiotics could heal or a 50 % chance it does not. For two more days, if there is no chance of healing, I have to be hospitalized for it to be drained. Do I have to take anything for pain in the meantime while waiting to see if antibiotics will work or not? And how do I avoid further injury (if they burst) by taking care of the affected area, and what to avoid? Currently, I am taking Cefalexin antibiotics 500 mg 20 capsules, one capsule four times a day. I went to a local general physician, and he examined the area.

#

Thank you for the query. I have gone through the photos and details (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity).

It appears to be due to some infection in the local region, maybe the genital area or lower limbs. Look for any infection in the area. Anyway, you have been given antibiotics. It should resolve within a couple of days. Avoid any friction or injuries and maintain local hygiene. I suggest topical antibiotic cream like Mupirocin or Fucidin (Fusidic acid). I suggest anti-inflammatory analgesics like tablets Ibuprofen or Diclofenac after food and Ranitidine tablets along with it to avoid any gastritis.

Consult your doctor if it does not subside or worsen.

Thank you for the reply.

I will take some anti-inflammatory medication. Do you know what to expect in this situation? Is antibiotics the only option at this time and wait for it to subside or get worse? What do I do about not being able to eat and not being coherent?

#

Usually, it should resolve within a couple of days. Antibiotics usually are the solution as it appears to be due to infection. You can look for any local infection in the genital area or lower limb. It may be due to regional lymph node swelling. I hope there is no risk of exposure or partner history (if you have any intercourse history). If there is no history, you need not worry, as any infection in the local area can make these swell. It may sometimes enlarge and open up if not on antibiotics. Anyway, you have been put on antibiotics. So hope for the best.

I suggest Ranitidine tablets, which will help you reduce any gastritis due to these drugs, or otherwise it may help you eat too. I suggest anti-inflammatory analgesics (Ibuprofen or Diclofenac) for three days. There are no restrictions on a diet. You can have anything you desire. You can wash the area with warm saline water (or just warm water) two to three times a day. I suggest topical antibiotic creams like Mupirocin or Fucidin cream (Fusidic acid). Hope for the best.

|