Q. I get occasional on and off lymph node enlargement in groin for the past one year. Please help.

Dr. Sabita Laskar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2020

I am a 27-year-old female with so far great health. I have had problem in my groin about six months ago. I am looking for a second opinion and ideas for relief. Over the past year, I have been getting on and off swollen lymph nodes in my groin area. One time when I was a teenager, I got one where my leg meets my hip. It cysted for a long time then eventually popped or scarred. I am not sure if it is related. Anyway, the swelling of my lymph nodes is sporadic in location but seems to be more constant as of late and now has me worried. I am married and have been with the same person sexually. However, I have not been STD tested.

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Infected lymph nodes in the groin area could be due to many reasons. This includes groin, genitals, urinary tract, leg, and foot. The infection could be of any reason, viral, bacterial or fungal. Very rarely repeated enlarged groin lymph nodes are due to cancer. It can also happen due to poor hygiene or diabetes. I hope you have evaluated yourself properly and ruled out any serious causes.

Since you have not tested yourself for STD, do rule that out too. As it is also one of the causes of enlarged infected groin nodes. At times you can confuse a big boil in the groin area with lymph node which is nothing but infection of the hair follicle in that area, which is quite recurrent, and you might need to be on low dose antibiotics for at least 21 days.

| 
Am I able to get a prescription for an antibiotic through here, or do I need to consult a local physician? I do wonder if it’s a hair follicle and not a lymph node. I just applied a warm compress and some neosporin and it seemed to make a bit of a difference.

Dr. Sabita Laskar

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
# hello Rosanna Welty
thanks for writing again
I am afraid you need a physical examination to find out the cause of the infected swelling.
however if it's responding to local application of neosporin and hot compression, it's most likely to be of bacterial origin.
you can try applying anti bacterial ointment containing mupirocin.
but I still suggest it will be better if you visit a doctor to get it examined.
thank you very much

|