Q. Can we opt growth hormone to increase the height?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jul 03, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 05, 2019

My son is 5'6 in height. He is 17 years old and wants to be taller. We want to try growth hormone. Is this possible? Kindly suggest the treatment.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I read your query, and from what information you have given me, it appears that your son has short constitutional stature and not growth hormone deficiency. Well, but it depends on many factors such as the mid-parental height, ethnicity, nutritional status, etc. Since he is below the third percentile for age for boys for height, I would suggest a proper work-up to rule out hormonal deficiencies such as,

1. Thyroid function test.

2. IGF-1 (insluin-growth fractor) and IGFBP-3 (insulin-like growth fractor binding protein).

3. LH (leutinizing hormone) and FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) routine tests like CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation arte).

4. Liver function test.

5. Renal function test.6. Urinalysis, and X-ray of left hand and wrist.

If the hormone analysis comes out abnormal or in other words, there is a deficiency of any of the above hormones, and then I would suggest MRI pituitary gland. Because short constitutional stature is not a disorder but a variation in normal growth, therefore, medical treatment is not usually necessary.So I would not suggest any hormonal treatment as it will not benefit him at this age as his bones have matured by now.

Although some studies do suggest the use of testosterone injections or patches to achieve growth and sexual maturation if necessary. Growth hormone is not recommended if any of the above tests turn out to be normal as it is associated with a lot of adverse effects. I hope my advice is of some benefit to you.

I am 9 months pregnant, and my total T3 is 208.57. Should I be worried?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 9 months pregnant, and I have some doubts with my recent free T3, T4, and TSH levels. My Triiodothyronine total (T3) is 208.57. What is it? Is it something to worry or is it normal? My TSH is under control, and it is 2.63 now.  Read Full »

What can cause hyperhidrosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 15 year old boy and I have hyperhidrosis. I sweat so much. My shirt cannot stay on for at least 5 minutes. In some half an hour to one hour my whole shirt and armpit area will drench in sweat. Yes, I take a shower twice a day and put deodorant every day. I have even tried the anti...  Read Full »

Kindly explain the growth hormone test report of a child with short stature.

Query: Hi doctor, Following is the growth hormone test report of my son aged 11 years and 7 months and his height is about 129 cm and weight is 32 kg. I am very concerned about his growth. Please comment in detail about the possible treatment and their side effects, if any?  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now