Q. I experience cold hands, constipation and lethargy. Kindly interpret my thyroid function test.

Dr. Rohit Jain
Published on Jan 21, 2020

I got blood tested for my thyroid and I need help understanding the results. Do I have hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism? I have cold hands and feet, eczema, psoriasis on my nail, sensitive eyes, constipation, gas, bloating, extreme lethargy, depression, and anxiety. My blood test results:

Free triiodothyronine 6.5 3.5 - 6.5 pmol/L.

Thyrotropin (sensitive TSH) 7.48 HI 0.30 - 4.00 mIU/L.

Free thyroxine (free T4) 18.9 - 23 pmol/L.

Dr. Rohit Jain

Cardiology Critical Care Physician Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Sexology
#

Your results can be interpreted as follows: Your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) is surely high and the T3 and T4 levels are in the normal range. There are two possibilities of such a report.

1. Primary hypothyroidism - In this the TSH is high and the others go low. This is the most common type. In this, the thyroid gland is under-functioning. The symptoms are usually as described by you. Now why is your T3, T4 are normal ? It might be the case that you are in a very initial stage of dysfunction and might become frank with time. If we treat it now, the levels will come back to normal and you might not need further treatment.

2. Secondary hyperthyroidism - In this case, all the three readings go up (which I see in your report.) The problem here is with the pituitary gland in the brain which stimulates the thyroid gland to produce more. So the fault is not with thyroid gland at a primary level. For this to confirm, you will need a TRH (thyrotropin-releasing hormone) hormone level, which is the stimulant of the thyroid. I would suggest you meet your endocrinologist and get the secondary aspect evaluated. After that, we can give you the right treatment and everything can be cured easily.

| 

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »

Is there a permanent cure for hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is having hypothyroidism. She is having the TSH level of 13 miu/l. We had consulted a doctor and after few tests, the doctor suggested to take Thyroxine 100 mcg everyday morning on empty stomach. How long she needs to take the medication? Is there a permanent cure for this?  Read Full »

I am getting severe panic attacks without any reason. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old female. Recently, I had a breakup. Currently, I do not have a job and so, mentally I am feeling insecure. I am getting severe panic attacks for no reason. Even, I do not want to go out of my room. I feel sleepy all the time. Whenever I go out, I feel that I am going to...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now