Q. Having gum pain as some popcorn is stuck. How to fix this?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 07, 2019

A week ago, some popcorn stuck in my gums, and I got it out. But, the pain and inflammation are still there. Why? How to fix it?

#

• Popcorn stuck in between the gums is a very common situation. Even I used to face this once in a while. The sharp particle tends to get locked so tightly between the teeth or gums, which is a reason for immediate inflammation and pain.
  • You have also mentioned that it has been there for a week's time. The best method to remove the clogged food particle is flossing.
  • Dental flosses are so thin that they can move in and out of the gums. With gentle pressure, use floss in the affected area to remove the particle. Please do not use safety pins or any sharp objects for this as it will hurt the gums and will lead to bleeding.
  • Latest disposable dental floss available in the market now, which comes along with a plastic handle and a hook shape at one end.This end can serve as a toothpick too and very useful to remove the stuck in food.
  • If you are still unsuccessful, then visit your nearby dentist. He or she can help you out by removing the particle with tweezers.
  • After you take the debris out, rinse your mouth with lukewarm salt water to soothe the gums. Also, I suggest you a mild painkiller like Tablet Paracetamol 500 mg with water a single dose after food to get rid of the pain immediately. Otherwise, you will be fine.

For further information consult a dentist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|