Q. I am having pain in the gums of lower front teeth. What is the cause?

Dr. Prerna Jain
Published on Oct 13, 2019

I am having pain below two of my front teeth in the gum area. I feel the pain even when I press my tongue in the back of the same teeth. The gum is also hurting bad. On the outside of my face, I can not touch over that spot as it is very painful.

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

Pain in gums indicate a site of infection or abscess.

When did the pain start? Is it felt only on touching? Is it continuous or throbbing?

Is there any swelling or redness in the area? Is it localized in one area or spread out? Is there pus or fluid felt on touching the area?

To determine the exact cause, we need pictures and x-rays.

Few of the causes could be:

1. A cavity that has extended deep into roots.

2. Periodontal problems due to chronic tartar deposits or may be associated with receding gums.

3. Combination of above.

4. Gum injury while brushing or with toothpick or fishbone, etc.

IOPA of the area concerned and
images of the area.

To alleviate pain,
apply anesthetic gel (Benzocaine) available over the counter for oral use.
Do warm salt water rinse.

How can I get rid of tartar in teeth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 and I rarely brush. Just a handful of months ago, I got plaque at the insides of my bottom teeth and now it has become worse with tartar and plaque. How can I get rid of it?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Irregular maintenance of good oral hygiene (like tooth brushing) can lead to tartar or plaque deposits around the teeth and on the gums. This weakens the jaw bones and mobilizes teeth in the long run. Bad breath can also be seldom avoided. However, prevention is better ...  Read Full

How to remove plaque and tartar at home naturally?

Query: Hello doctor, How to remove plaque and tartar from teeth at home by natural means?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Clean your teeth twice daily and use a mouthwash after brushing. Eat fibrous food. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush. Rinse your mouth with salt water after every meal. Rub a banana peel on the teeth once a week. For more information consult a dentist online --...  Read Full

Why am I having pain in gum covering wisdom tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, The gums where my wisdom tooth is present is in pain.  Read Full >>

Dr. Tooba Qazi
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. What is your age? Wisdom tooth gets erupted in ages between 19 to 30. They put eruption pressure after every three weeks or so. If its position is not vertical or they are tilted or are impacted in bone, they start causing severe pain. For it the first line of treatment...  Read Full