Q. Why do I have constant pain in my teeth and gums for almost three years?

Dr. Akmal Abdelmalek
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 26, 2021

I had braces 7 to 8 years back. Afterward, I was told to wear plastic retainers nightly, which I did for five years. Over the last three or so, I have been experiencing nearly constant pain in my teeth and gums, particularly the front bottom row but elsewhere too, and some of my teeth wiggle slightly. They do not feel as firm as they should. I wondered if there is any way to fix this, as the pain interferes quite a bit with my life.

#

It seems to me that this has nothing to do with your previous orthodontic treatment, which you finished seven years ago and even discontinued your retainer's wear. You may check your wisdom teeth or have a look at your gums by a dental professional. Sometimes things happen as a coincidence only, and they are actually unrelated. If you have a panoramic radiograph taken recently, you can post it to have a look at. Gum disease can cause wiggling of teeth too. For the time being, you may take some pain medications with anti-inflammatory properties such as Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg 3-4 times a day for a few days and see how things go.

|