iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOrthodontistgum painWhat causes constant pain in the gums and teeth for years?

Why do I have constant pain in my teeth and gums for almost three years?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Published At July 6, 2020
Reviewed AtJuly 11, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I had braces 7 to 8 years back. Afterward, I was told to wear plastic retainers nightly, which I did for five years. Over the last three or so, I have been experiencing nearly constant pain in my teeth and gums, particularly the front bottom row but elsewhere too, and some of my teeth wiggle slightly. They do not feel as firm as they should. I wondered if there is any way to fix this, as the pain interferes quite a bit with my life.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

It seems to me that this has nothing to do with your previous orthodontic treatment, which you finished seven years ago and even discontinued your retainer's wear. You may check your wisdom teeth or have a look at your gums by a dental professional. Sometimes things happen as a coincidence only, and they are actually unrelated. If you have a panoramic radiograph taken recently, you can post it to have a look at. Gum disease can cause wiggling of teeth too. For the time being, you may take some pain medications with anti-inflammatory properties such as Tablet Ibuprofen 400 mg 3-4 times a day for a few days and see how things go.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Akmal Albert Asham Abdelmalek
Dr. Akmal Albert Asham Abdelmalek


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

gum paingum infection

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy