Q. Can puffed up nipples with slight hardness under it be gynecomastia?

Answered by
Dr. Vikram Kumar R
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 14, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am a 38-year-old male, 174 cm tall and weight is 73 kg. I have been having puffed up nipples since long and can feel slight hardness under the nipple surface. It is painless and there is no discharge. I suspect gynecomastia. I can provide you photographs. Need your advice on treatment.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

You have bilateral grade II gynecomastia. Medical treatment, diet and exercise cannot reverse it. The correction will require liposuction with gland excision. It is a day care procedure. You can get discharged on the same day.

Thank you doctor,

I have a few queries. How many hours it takes? Do I need to be admitted a day prior to the procedure? Are there any by-standers required? Is the procedure done on general or local anesthesia? Is the procedure a key-hole or regular open surgery? What is the post procedure recovery time for getting back to work? Can I get back to travel and work the next day of the procedure? Are there any restrictions on diet after the procedure? Kindly provide the required details.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Gynecomastia or male breast correction is one of the most common procedures done at our center. The procedure involves liposuction with or without gland excision depending on the grade and type of gynecomastia that you have. Preoperative investigations and measurement for compression garment will be taken before the procedure. The procedure can be done under general anesthesia. It is a day care procedure, if done in the morning you can be discharged in the evening. If done in the evening you can be discharged the next day morning. Bystander is preferreble. First review on the third postoperative day, second review on the 10th postoperative day. Three days rest is enough. You will be advised to wear compression garment next 3 to 4 months. Walking and jogging after 15 days and gym exercise after 30 days. Hope you understand the procedure.

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I had a gynecomastia surgery last week. Why is fluid getting accumulated in my right breast?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a gynecomastia surgery last week, and a week later my right breast was swollen. So, I went to see my doctor, and he said I have fluid accumulated in my chest. He opened my stitches and placed a scissor inside, and took out the fluid and blood, and closed the incision. It was very pa...  Read Full »

Pregnancy and Birth

Article Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy.  Read Article

Dr. Shruti Kainth Kaushal
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Overview: Pregnancy is the time taken for a fetus to develop inside a woman’s womb. Sometimes, if more than one embryo develops inside the uterus at the same time, it is known as a multiple pregnancy. It typically lasts for 40 weeks from the last menstrual period (LMP). A woman can get pregna...  Read Article

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Plastic Surgeon Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.