Q. What can I do to grow hair in the case of genetic hair loss?

Dr. Payal Chauhan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am 36 years old. I have genetic hair loss, is there something I can do to grow more hair? I use Minoxidil, but it is not working.

Do you have a question on Hair Loss or Minoxidil?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Payal Chauhan

MBBS., MD
Dermatology Venereology

I understand your concern, but there are no attached photographs in your message. Kindly send a picture of the affected area to assess the condition and to suggest you the appropriate diagnosis and treatment. I need to see it to help you further.

I have attached the file.

Dr. Payal Chauhan

MBBS., MD
Dermatology Venereology

This indeed is genetic hair loss, known as FPHL (female pattern hair loss), which also has some hormonal etiology (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Minoxidil is the treatment of choice and needs to be applied 1 ml twice daily in 2 % concentration. It takes at least four to six months to see the results and the result peaks only after a year, so if you are not seeing results in the initial few weeks, that is normal.

Keep using Minoxidil and add following medication.

1. Tablet Spironolactone 50 mg twice a day.

Thanks for your concern.

Dr. Payal Chauhan

MBBS., MD
Dermatology Venereology

You are welcome.

Also Read Answers From: Hair Loss Minoxidil

Can minoxidil use cause dark eyes?
Query: Hello doctor, I am using Minoxidil and noticing dark eyes and wrinkles. Is there a way to keep using Minoxidil but counter the side effects?  Read Full »
Dr. Dilip Meena
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. Minoxidil has nothing to do with dark eye circles or wrinkles. 2. It can lead to dryness, a bit of headache, and facial bloating. 3. Apply it in the prescribed amount only. Not more than 1 ml at a time and wash your hands afterwards. 4. Apply half a centimeter...  Read Full »

I have been using Minoxidil, but hair fall persists. Why?
Query: Hello doctor,I have been using Minoxidil for about a year now and continue to shed. I now have balding patches where it was not an issue before. Ironically the thinning I had started using it for filled in. Wondering if I need to stop the use or if it is normal to experience shedding still? I use it...  Read Full »
Dr. Yeshwanth Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Can you please upload a few pictures if possible, to advice proper treatment.  Read Full »

Alopecia - Hair loss Treatment Through Homeopathy
Article Overview: Hair fall or alopecia is a very common condition seen in many young people. Hair fall can be a genetic problem or due to some external factors. Depending on the cause of hair fall, homeopathic remedies are prescribed. The well selected homeopathic remedy not only helps to reduce the hair fall but also enhances the physical and mental wellbeing.  Read Article »
Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Homeopathic Physician

Nowadays, hair fall problem is gradually increasing. Many young adults have been complaining about hair loss issues. Some of them complain about genetic or hereditary kind of hair loss, while some of them complain hair fall after the use of certain medications or due to some external factors li ...  Read Article »

Ask a Doctor Now