Q. My hair loss is back after a trip to a tropical country. What can I do?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Three months after I had my second child, I suffered hair loss. It all grew back six to seven months postpartum. Then, I went on a trip about two and a half months ago to a tropical climate and when I got back I am getting the same type of hair loss again. I believe the name for it is called telogen effluvium. My hair is also very weak in general and some strands are similar to a straw consistency. Could the trip have triggered this or could this be a thyroid issue? I also got BPPV postpartum and even now suffer from chronic dizziness. MRI is normal. Ear tests are normal. The blood test is also normal.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have hair fall.

• Now, there could be many reasons.
  1. Postpartum: one-year post delivery of a child and a possible lactation might cause nutritional deficiencies in a woman and also the normalization of the pregnancy and lactation hormones back to the non-pregnant state.
  2. Thyroid dysfunction: for which I suggest a TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) test.
  3. Iron deficiency anemia: for which it would be best to do a complete blood count and serum ferritin levels.
  4. Vitamin D deficiency: for which I suggest doing a vitamin D test.
  • Treatment -
  1. In the meantime, I would suggest that you take Zinc capsules 110 mg once daily for one month.
  2. Take a multivitamin supplement.
  3. Eat eggs if you are a non-vegetarian.
  4. Minoxidil 2 % hairspray can be applied carefully to the scalp only for three to six months wearing gloves.
  5. Oil your hair with coconut oil twice a week, leave it overnight and wash it off with a mild shampoo.

Try to do the tests and get back for review. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

My TSH level is 2. B-12 is great. My iron and hemoglobin are within normal limits also. Since my hair grew in after I originally experienced hair loss, could the hair loss now be a result of the vacation I took and being in hot, humid weather?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology

• Yes, hair loss can definitely be due to a change in weather.
  • I asked about vitamin D levels as well.
  • It is good to know about your thyroid function test and iron levels as well.
  • I suggest you take a multivitamin including biotin and other essential vitamins.

Good luck.

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full >>

Dr. Swaraj S W
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is very important for the baby's brain growth as rightly said by you. Therefore, it is imperative that we treat aggressively. Target TSH in the first trimester is 0.3 - 2.5 mIU/L and therefore the doctor did not change the treatment. I ho...  Read Full

Alopecia - Hair loss Treatment Through Homeopathy

Article Overview: Hair fall problems are at a rise, and even young adults are complaining about it. This article provides homeopathic treatment options for hair fall. Read Article

Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Homeopathic Physician

Nowadays, hair fall problem is gradually increasing. Many young adults have been complaining about hair loss issues. Some of them complain about genetic or hereditary kind of hair loss, while some of them complain hair fall after the use of certain medications or due to some external factors like ch...  Read Article

Does hair fall stop immediately with the use of Proscar?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been on Rogaine for 6 years and now on Proscar for 10 days. I had used it before, but went off. I cannot tell if I am still losing hair or not. Does hair loss stop immediately once Proscar is used?  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Both, Minoxidil and Finasteride takes time to act and in some cases it will take two to three months. Both are FDA - Food and Drug Administration approved for androgenic alopecia. You should always remember that if it is used once, then you need to take it for a lifetime...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now