Q. My hair loss is back after a trip to a tropical country. What can I do?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Three months after I had my second child, I suffered hair loss. It all grew back six to seven months postpartum. Then, I went on a trip about two and a half months ago to a tropical climate and when I got back I am getting the same type of hair loss again. I believe the name for it is called telogen effluvium. My hair is also very weak in general and some strands are similar to a straw consistency. Could the trip have triggered this or could this be a thyroid issue? I also got BPPV postpartum and even now suffer from chronic dizziness. MRI is normal. Ear tests are normal. The blood test is also normal.

#

I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have hair fall.

• Now, there could be many reasons.
  1. Postpartum: one-year post delivery of a child and a possible lactation might cause nutritional deficiencies in a woman and also the normalization of the pregnancy and lactation hormones back to the non-pregnant state.
  2. Thyroid dysfunction: for which I suggest a TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) test.
  3. Iron deficiency anemia: for which it would be best to do a complete blood count and serum ferritin levels.
  4. Vitamin D deficiency: for which I suggest doing a vitamin D test.
  • Treatment -
  1. In the meantime, I would suggest that you take Zinc capsules 110 mg once daily for one month.
  2. Take a multivitamin supplement.
  3. Eat eggs if you are a non-vegetarian.
  4. Minoxidil 2 % hairspray can be applied carefully to the scalp only for three to six months wearing gloves.
  5. Oil your hair with coconut oil twice a week, leave it overnight and wash it off with a mild shampoo.

Try to do the tests and get back for review. Good luck.

For more information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

My TSH level is 2. B-12 is great. My iron and hemoglobin are within normal limits also. Since my hair grew in after I originally experienced hair loss, could the hair loss now be a result of the vacation I took and being in hot, humid weather?

#

• Yes, hair loss can definitely be due to a change in weather.
  • I asked about vitamin D levels as well.
  • It is good to know about your thyroid function test and iron levels as well.
  • I suggest you take a multivitamin including biotin and other essential vitamins.

Good luck.

|