Q. Is hair fall common after a surgery?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

Last year, I noticed hair fall. Then, I had a surgery for appendix and post surgery my hair fall increased severely. I have checked vitamin D, B12 and ferritin levels. Everything is normal. Since, I am a vegetarian my doctor put me on some multivitamin tablets. I am also taking biotin tablets for two months. It has been a year, but nothing helped. My hair has reduced to a sleek pony. My family history does not have any hair fall issues. Three weeks back I started taking Minoxidil 2% on a dermatologist recommendation. Till now, I did not observe any change. Also, it has started making my hair dry and brittle. Please tell me what to do further?

#

• You are suffering from acute telogen effluvium. Telogen effluvium is a self-limiting disorder and is very common after any surgical procedure.
  • Keep taking the multivitamins and there is no need for Minoxidil because it is mainly for androgenic alopecia. If you applied it once, then you need to apply it for the whole life.
  • Do not worry; the hair will return to normal within four to six months. So, no active intervention is needed.

For further information consult a dermatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|