Q. Why is my 6 year old daughter experiencing diffuse hair loss?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
Published on May 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 6 year old daughter has been experiencing diffuse hair loss from the past few weeks. The hair loss is at least double than normal, in the 200 range, and it falls extremely easy from her head. It is not patchy and I can find no bald spots, her scalp looks healthy. So far, the loss is not noticeable. Her iron, thyroid, and blood count, are normal. The week before this started we were on vacation. She spent the week in the sun and pool. Her scalp did receive a minor burn that peeled, but it healed quickly. Three months ago, she used a lice shampoo. Nothing else in her history explains this. She does have minor eczema and seasonal allergies. Any idea what is going on and when it will stop?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• From your history, it appears that your child's hair loss is because of acute telogen effluvium. This is an acute condition, wherein any radical change in the health condition of the person leads to insult to the scalp hair, causing a shift in the hair cycle from the growth stage to shedding stage. This results in such massive number of diffuse hair loss.
  • However, the best part of it is that it is totally reversible. Once the impacting factor is identified and removed, the hair tends to grow back to its normal state. In your case, it could be any event of stress such as an exam or change in the lifestyle, etc.
  • There is no need to panic as it responds very well. All you need to do is identify if there is any probable trigger and if so, then make all necessary precautions to remove it.
  • And at the same time, provide adequate nutrition for hair growth, such as multivitamins containing Biotin and Pantothenic acid. This whole process may take three months for complete recovery.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Could it be from any of the triggers I noted? There is nothing else in her history that explains this.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

#

• Yes, but it is less likely, a history of head lice can be a possible trigger.
  • As the iron, thyroid and other counts are normal, it would be easier to recover though.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Why is my head shedding excess hair these days?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been shedding excess hair in the past few weeks. It was just a few in the beginning but now when I comb my hand through my head, 10 to 15 strands of hair come out in my hand. I do not know what is causing this. I have tried to find the reason online but there are lots of theori...  Read Full »

Does hair fall stop immediately with the use of Proscar?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been on Rogaine for 6 years and now on Proscar for 10 days. I had used it before, but went off. I cannot tell if I am still losing hair or not. Does hair loss stop immediately once Proscar is used?  Read Full »

Why am I having constant headache and hair fall?

Query: Hi doctor,For the past five months, I have had a constant sore head that causes hair fall. Also, by the same time, my eyebrows and eyelashes started falling out. For a few months, it was a very painful headache, and was losing like 10 eyebrows a day on a bad day. The hair often has the white skin fo...  Read Full »