Q. Is it possible to get halitosis because of gastritis?

Dr. Lohit Chauhan
Published on Dec 05, 2018

I want to ask about halitosis. I already went to the dentist and the dentist said that the problem is not in the mouth and it could be in my stomach so here I am. I hope you can help me because I am at my wit's end right now. How do I know if it is in the stomach? What should I do? I do not think it is acid reflux because I already take PPIs for more than one month and it seems to be still there. Please help me.

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

#

Halitosis or bad breath usually originates from oral or nasal passages. The cause of it is bacterial decay of residual food and debris. Most common causes of halitosis are periodontal diseases, dental caries, oral cavity infection, and coated or uncleaned tongue or decreased salivation. Other causes which are thought of after ruling out the above are a tonsillar abscess, any esophageal pathology which allows collection of residual food in esophageal like a diverticulum or motility disorder like achalasia. Lung pathology like lung abscess can also be the cause of halitosis. Gastritis due to H.pylori can also cause halitosis. Also, bezoars in the stomach can also be a cause.

Though I am on treatment for stomach pain, the pain persists. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had severe back pain and stomach pain two days ago. I visited my family physician, and he prescribed me Omcar 40 mg along with other medicines. He advised me to take Omcar 40 mg in the empty stomach daily morning, but I took it after lunch and dinner by mistake. Since last 3 hours, I a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Omeprazole (Omcar) and all other proton pump inhibitors are very safe medicines and can be taken for years without any side effect. As you are having pain, antispasmodics like tablet Cibis (combination of Clidinium, Chlordiazepoxide, and Dicyclomine) can be taken thrice...  Read Full

Would fundoplication help gastritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been struggling with pressure under my ribs and tightness in my chest for 5 years. It is on and off, but mostly it gives me a hard time to come through. I feel hard to belch often. I have taken Esomeprazole and Nexium to keep the reflux down, but the tightness and other awful ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully worked through your health query and can well understand your issues. Yes, it seems to be due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), simply the acid reflux. It has caused damage to the esophagus and other parts of the body too. Hiatal hernia...  Read Full