Proton-pump Inhibitors

Which is the best probiotic for acid reflux?

Query: Hi doctor, I have acid reflux since 10 years. My H.pylori test is negative. I already overused Pantoprazole and it caused side effects like vitamin B12 deficiency, muscle weakness, etc. So, I would like to discontinue it. I heard that probiotics may heal my problem. Can I use probiotics? If so, th...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of irritable bowel syndrome. Yes, probiotics play a wonderful role in this. In fact the famous probiotic for this purpose available in market are Darolac-IBS and VSL-3 (lactic acid). You can take them twice a day. For further ...  Read Full »

Can PPI cause stomach pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have multiple problems with my stomach, it all began two years ago after taking pills which I was allergic to. My stomach became inflamed with a lot of acids, chronic antrum gastritis, and acid reflux. My stool was too soft, and I did not take any pill because my doctor did not give...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. All the problems can be explained by dyspepsia. Although there are certain issues like normal endoscopy and absence of inflammation. And on endoscopy reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is no obvious granulation tissue seen. There may be some n...  Read Full »

Blood in vomit after drinking too much alcohol. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 20 year old male. About three days ago, I vomited bright red blood after consuming excessive alcohol. This is the first time I have consumed more than one beer and I was also unconscious. I have not been having any pains or any other symptoms. After the first vomit of blood, I pu...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your post. At this age, bleeding with vomiting is likely due to an injury to the lower esophagus because of the force of the vomit. If the bleeding was severe, then an upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy is necessary for two reasons. Alcohol drinking ...  Read Full »

Could RLQ pain be chronic appendicitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 15 year old female and have been having RLQ pain for nearly five months. I am physically fit. I do exercise at least six days a week and eat quite healthy. I have a sharp stabbing pain at McBurney's point. I also feel immense pressure at my RLQ like someone is sitting on my stomach...  Read Full »

Dr. Nageswara Rao

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After reading your well presented history, I think the following are the possibilities. Chronic appendicitis. There may be high possibility of RLQ muscular pain (right lower quadrant) - as you do regular workouts. Acid peptic disease.   Read Full »

Will PPI help in curing gurgling noise in stomach?

Query: Hello doctor, I have reflux and GERD. Also a hiatal hernia. Sometimes I have gurgling in the stomach and into my throat. It is like a gurgling noise and a ticking noise if I hold my mouth open. I just started medium. Would you be worried or is this normal for reflex and the PPI should help?  Read Full »

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgeon, Medical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. PPI alone will not work. Need to add some pro motility medicines too. Also dietary modifications and lifestyle changes need to be considered consistently. If symptoms are worsening, then need to think of other measures. Would like to have a look at your endoscopy report...  Read Full »

What are the causes of radiating stomach pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from sudden attack of pain in stomach for the past four years. The pain crosses backside too for a few seconds, at intervals of days, weeks or months. I have consulted many doctors, taken lots of medication, but nothing has worked. All my tests came normal. Kindl...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to my knowledge, abdomen pain that radiates to back needs to be evaluated for gall bladder as well as for problems in regard to pancreatitis. If your ultrasound scan performed previously showed the results are normal then I would suggest you get a CT scan of ...  Read Full »

Does Omeprazole 20 mg have side effects?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been suffering from symptoms of gastritis now for over a week. However, I took a capsule of Omeprazole 20 mg, and there seems to be a considerable relief, and I feel a lot better. Is it possible that one capsule can do this? Also, I have read online that Omeprazole can be associ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor. It will decrease the acid production in the stomach and relieve the symptoms rapidly. The worries like pneumonia or so are very very less. It is usually a safe drug. For more information consult a general medicine phys...  Read Full »

Can halitosis be caused due to gastritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to ask about halitosis. I already went to the dentist and the dentist said that the problem is not in the mouth and it could be in my stomach so here I am. I hope you can help me because I am at my wit's end right now. How do I know if it is in the stomach? What should I do? I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Lohit Chauhan

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Halitosis or bad breath usually originates from oral or nasal passages. The cause of it is bacterial decay of residual food and debris. Most common causes of halitosis are periodontal diseases, dental caries, oral cavity infection, and coated or uncleaned tongue or decr...  Read Full »

What is the growth present in the back of the throat? What causes it?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a small bubble-like growth in the back of the throat near tonsils. It flares up with irritation during coughing, grunting, and when I do exercise in the early morning. I snore at the night time, and I have heartburn. I consulted a doctor, and I was prescribed with Prilosec. Please...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please send a picture of your throat.  Read Full »

Tests for stomach pain revealed a high eosinophil count. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a stomach ache from the last two months. It got worsened last week and I was admitted to a hospital. A lot of tests were done. The CBC revealed eosinophilia. The gastroscopy revealed an edematous duodenum. A duodenal biopsy was taken. I have attached my biopsy report. I want to u...  Read Full »

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I reviewed your biopsy report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and the findings were normal. There is nothing to be worried about. You will need to use PPI's (proton pump inhibitors) to improve your symptoms. Regarding your eosinophilia, it may be el...  Read Full »