Q. Could you give your opinion about my eczema on the fingertips?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 18, 2019

I am a 23 year old female who has developed dry fingertips. The skin flakes off to leave smooth raw skin that has pins and needles when touched. It started with the index finger of my left hand. I asked a pharmacist for an opinion, and he thought it was nerve damage and recommended steroid cream. Over the last six months, it has spread to fingers of both hands. During this period, I also developed an itchy rash on the inside of my elbows. When I went to the doctor, she said it as eczema and prescribed me Dermol, Doublebase cream, and steroid cream. My fingers have not improved over the past month, but my arms have. Could you please give me your opinion on the supposed eczema on my fingertips? I am not convinced on what it is. Thank you.

#

• From your history and clinical images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you are suffering from fingertip eczema.
  • It could most commonly occur as a consequence of allergic contact dermatitis to soaps and detergents used for washing clothes and dishes, application of hair dye, gardening activities and repeated wet work.
  • The treatment prescribed by your doctor does not work effectively unless you curb these inciting risk factors.

Continue the same treatment.

1. Avoid excessive wet work and direct contact wit soaps and detergents.
2. Avoid direct hair dye application.
3. Reduce gardening activities if any.

For further information consult a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|