Q. Could you give your opinion about my eczema on the fingertips?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
Published on Mar 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 18, 2019

I am a 23 year old female who has developed dry fingertips. The skin flakes off to leave smooth raw skin that has pins and needles when touched. It started with the index finger of my left hand. I asked a pharmacist for an opinion, and he thought it was nerve damage and recommended steroid cream. Over the last six months, it has spread to fingers of both hands. During this period, I also developed an itchy rash on the inside of my elbows. When I went to the doctor, she said it as eczema and prescribed me Dermol, Doublebase cream, and steroid cream. My fingers have not improved over the past month, but my arms have. Could you please give me your opinion on the supposed eczema on my fingertips? I am not convinced on what it is. Thank you.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• From your history and clinical images (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you are suffering from fingertip eczema.
  • It could most commonly occur as a consequence of allergic contact dermatitis to soaps and detergents used for washing clothes and dishes, application of hair dye, gardening activities and repeated wet work.
  • The treatment prescribed by your doctor does not work effectively unless you curb these inciting risk factors.

Continue the same treatment.

1. Avoid excessive wet work and direct contact wit soaps and detergents.
2. Avoid direct hair dye application.
3. Reduce gardening activities if any.

For further information consult a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Skin of penis is peeling a day after sex. Can it be yeast infection or STD?

Query: Hello doctor, My partner and I had sex and a day after, the skin on his penis was peeling. I have no clue what it means. It is still peeling and we had sex a week ago. I went to get it checked out I have not heard anything yet. He said he got checked two weeks ago and I got checked a day after. Ple...  Read Full »

I am getting yearly itchy rash outbreaks. What are they?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from this problem for a few years and every year it seems to be worsening than the previous one. I am overweight and by working hard I have lost about 15 pounds. I got yearly rash outbreaks on arms, especially forearms. I have diabetes and taking many medications,...  Read Full »

Is the itchy painful lesion in fingers due to fungal infection?

Query: Hello doctor, Eczema or fungus on right thumb and index, it looks like it is expanding and it leaves apparently dead skin behind which peels off. I have pictures for a better understanding. It itches none to moderately, it hurts slightly when applied pressure on. I am a driver.  Read Full »