Q. The broken hand x-ray shows unhealed bones. Kindly help.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

My distal phalanx of the left-hand middle finger is broken (complete and open fracture) along with nail bed injury five months ago. As of now, I was feeling some abnormal activities at the fracture site. So I went for an X-ray, and it shows half of the bone is healed from the lower side, and the upper side of the bone is still unhealed.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

Well, we have to treat the patient and not X-ray. Kindly describe the abnormal activity you are feeling. Secondly, anything which you are not able to do with this hand?

| 

1. When I squeeze, the pressure of the body is releasing outside from this fracture site.

2. When I get down my hand while walking, I fell that blood or something is following this injury site.

3. Moreover, five months have elapsed, but I am not able to type with a finger as it is feeling a little bit painful.

Please suggest what should I do now.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

#

Well if you are having difficulty in typing from this finger if there is a different kind of sensation whenever you are using it. Then you need surgery. There is non-union at the fracture site. Since you had an open fracture, it is common to have a nonunion. It is a very small surgery in which fracture margins will be freshened, and some bone grafting will be done.

| 

Why has my finger become stiff after an injury?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months before, I got an injury on my finger. Now, my finger has become very stiff. When I try to straighten it, it is popping back. Also, it is very painful. What to do? Please help me.  Read Full »

InterTan nail got displaced from hip side and causing pain. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My mother, aged 67, got her hip bone joint fractured. She got operated and InterTan nail got implanted. But nail part got displaced from the hip side and now touching hip bone causing pain. She is weak, having low bone density and suffering from other diseases as well (rheumatoid arth...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now