Q. The broken hand x-ray shows unhealed bones. Kindly help.

Dr. Anuj Gupta
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

My distal phalanx of the left-hand middle finger is broken (complete and open fracture) along with nail bed injury five months ago. As of now, I was feeling some abnormal activities at the fracture site. So I went for an X-ray, and it shows half of the bone is healed from the lower side, and the upper side of the bone is still unhealed.

Do you have a question on Hand X-ray or Fracture Healing?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Anuj Gupta

MBBS., MS., DNB., MRCS
Orthopedics And Traumatology

Well, we have to treat the patient and not X-ray. Kindly describe the abnormal activity you are feeling. Secondly, anything which you are not able to do with this hand?

1. When I squeeze, the pressure of the body is releasing outside from this fracture site.

2. When I get down my hand while walking, I fell that blood or something is following this injury site.

3. Moreover, five months have elapsed, but I am not able to type with a finger as it is feeling a little bit painful.

Please suggest what should I do now.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

MBBS., MS., DNB., MRCS
Orthopedics And Traumatology

Well if you are having difficulty in typing from this finger if there is a different kind of sensation whenever you are using it. Then you need surgery. There is non-union at the fracture site. Since you had an open fracture, it is common to have a nonunion. It is a very small surgery in which fracture margins will be freshened, and some bone grafting will be done.

Why has my finger become stiff after an injury?
Query: Hi doctor, A few months before, I got an injury on my finger. Now, my finger has become very stiff. When I try to straighten it, it is popping back. Also, it is very painful. What to do? Please help me.  Read Full >>
Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that you got an injury to your finger previously and now, you are having some issue with its movements. As per your symptoms, it could be subluxating out of the joint and then coming back as per the movements. For that, I will advise you to kindly ge...  Read Full

InterTan nail got displaced from hip side and causing pain. Please help.
Query: Hello doctor, My mother, aged 67, got her hip bone joint fractured. She got operated and InterTan nail got implanted. But nail part got displaced from the hip side and now touching hip bone causing pain. She is weak, having low bone density and suffering from other diseases as well (rheumatoid arth...  Read Full >>
Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. She requires implant removal and joint replacement. This is a relatively safe procedure. Plaster cannot be applied over this. For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-an...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now