Q. My kids have missed several days of school due to head lice. Please help.

Dr. Ediberto Cordero

My kids have missed several days of school due to head lice. We have been fighting it for a while, and I do not want to get into trouble for the kids missing school. How can I get rid of the head lice once and for all? I have done the shampoos and the cleaning routine. What else can I do?

Dr. Ediberto Cordero

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

• It is very common to get head lice in stages of childhood and adolescence. It mainly spreads by contact with other children in school. So, it is very likely that other children also have head lice and should also be evaluated and treated to eliminate the problem.
  • Do not worry. There is a solution to this problem. Please follow the recommendations below:
  1. Perform a full scalp scan of each of your children.
  2. Do a manual extraction of each of the existing lice or larvae.
  3. Clean and dry the skin. Apply a thin layer of Permethrin to all the parts of the body from the neck down to the soles of the feet. Rub in completely. Leave the medicine on your skin for eight to 14 hours, then wash it off thoroughly. When using Permethrin topical on an infant, apply the medication to the scalp, temples, and forehead. Avoid applying it to the eyes, nose, mouth, or genitals.
  4. Wash the clothes of each of the children with warm water.
  5. Buy a closed tooth comb for personal use.
  6. Follow up and repeat the procedure in case the problem persists.
  7. If your condition does not clear up within 14 days, apply Permethrin topical again.
  • Note: Explain this process to the parents or guardians of children who share a classroom with your child in school, as long as one of the children has head lice infestation, there will be a chance that your children will also have it.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|