Q. My daughter has headache and the CT shows hydrocephalus. Please give a suggestion.

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Nov 17, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 19, 2019

My daughter is 5 years old. She was complaining about headaches and I decided to take her to make a CT. She was at that time, with HMFD(hand, mouth and foot disease), and I did not know that this HMFD could influence her brain and make it inflamed. So, the CT came out and the doctor, said that probably is nothing, but it is better to check in a bigger hospital with a specialist because her brain has a little too much water and could be hydrocephalus.

I will attach the CT and I would like to have a second opinion before taking further actions. She has no other symptoms besides a headache sometimes. She is way above average in learning, speaks three languages and very fast in learning, also, very healthy. So, since she has no symptoms from hydrocephalus, I do not know how to proceed. Please help.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I read your question and reviewed your uploaded CT scan images. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I would explain that these images are not compatible with congenital hydrocephalus. But, it is true that it seems to be a little enlargement of the lateral ventricles and cisterna magna (considering her age), which indicates that something is going on. Besides the headache is usually associated with increased intracranial hypertension ( like in case of abnormal fluid accumulation in the brain).

Coming to this point I would recommend performing a brain MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) in order to examine her brain better and investigate for the possible causes underlying her complaints. You should know that the brain MRI has a much higher sensitivity and specificity for such diagnosis, compared to the CT (computed tomography) scan and it has no risks of radiation.

A 12-year-old has hydrocephalus, uncontrollable seizures and many problems. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor,I am an occupational therapist, and my client's mother would not let me talk to her neurologist even though I need to script some equipment. So I wanted to ask general questions, the client is 12 years old and has hydrocephalus and had many many surgeries as her shunts keep becoming blo...  Read Full »

Ultrasound showing mild hydrocephalus. Should I be concerned?

Query: Hi doctor, My present ultrasound is showing mild hydrocephalus with breech presentation (36 weeks) dilated 13 mm ventricle. No genetic disorder reported earlier done in second trimester. All the previous ultrasound showed normal and sound growth of fetus. Reports attached for your reference. Thank y...  Read Full »

I have headache after using Nevanac ophthalmic suspension

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 years old. I have discomfort and mild pain in the right eye since last four days. The doctor has advised taking Nevanac ophthalmic suspension 0.1 suspension, and Maxmoist eye drops for dry eye. He has advised to take Nevanac one drop four times daily in both eyes, and Maxmoist ...  Read Full »