Q. Is CT scan safe during pregnancy?

Dr. Deepti Verma

I am a 29 year old female, and I was hospitalized for a week due to UTI. As a part of it, a CT scan was taken, which showed that I am completely cured. Then the next day, a blood test showed two weeks pregnancy. I am worried that the CT scan would have an adverse effect on the baby. Could you please advise.

Dr. Deepti Verma

Fetal Medicine Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through your question, and I understood your concerns.

• CT scan has strong radiations, and it is known to have adverse effects on the fetus. You should consult a gynecologist and decide further action.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Do get back to me for further queries. Regards.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Thanks for your reply. I have few more queries. I got opinions from two gynecologists. One of them said that since it is too early, the scan will not have any impacts on the fetus, as it is too small and advised me to continue further. The other gynecologist said that since I went for abdominal and kidney CT, irrespective of the fetus size, it will have a negative impact and recommended to abort. My husband and I are really confused and could not decide. We are thinking to get the seventh-week ultrasound. Will we get enough information to decide based on an ultrasound? Please advice.

Dr. Deepti Verma

#

• Any radiation exposure to the fetus of 2 to 4 weeks can lead to the derangement and anomalies in the fetal nervous system, leading to serious effects on the fetus.
  • Since your period was just two weeks back, it is borderline, and there is no certain risk. A seventh-week scan will give no information about the congenital anomalies.
  • If you continue the pregnancy, then get a detailed anomaly scan at 18 to 20 weeks of gestation.

Hope you found the answer helpful. Regards.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|