Q. What are the symptoms of sinus headache?

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda
Published on Feb 25, 2019

My daughter is 20 years old and studying in a hostel. For the last one month, she is suffering from a headache. After taking painkiller it subsides and again it stars on the next day. So after three days, I consulted an ENT doctor and he after examining and after taking X-ray, diagnosed it as sinus headache and gave antibiotics and painkillers for five days. She completed the course and while using the tablets she did not have a headache. Now, again she has a headache.

Kindly advise whether the headache is really from sinusitis. Why am I doubting that she has only headache with mild nose block and no other symptoms like discharge or fever. So, my doubt is whether it is sinus headache or not and if it is due to sinusitis even after completing the course why again headache?

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Headache can be of many reasons but while pertaining it to ENT, it is mostly due to sinusitis. For declaring the headache due to sinusitis you should have got done a nasal diagnostic endoscopy by an ENT surgeon or should get a CT scan of the paranasal sinus. X-rays are of the very very old generation and no one is using it as a tool to diagnose it. But since you have got the X-ray done, kindly share it along with the reports.

Kindly understand that if at all the sinusitis persists the medical management which may completely reduce sinus infection is antibiotics up to 4 to 6 weeks (for a permanent cure) along with mucolytics, a short course of oral steroids and nasal spray if the patient is allergic to dust or pollen. If the above medical management fails then the patient has to be subjected to surgery which we can decide with our CT scan. As you have also mentioned regarding nose block a deviated nasal septum can also be a cause for headache. So kindly share the X-ray report.

He has not given the report but I have X-ray with me.

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

#

Kindly take a visible picture of it against a white background and upload it so that I can suggest you further measures to be done.

I have attached the file.

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

#

The attached X-ray does not show sinus infection (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please check for the following. Whether the headache is while studying or concentrating on anything, it can be because of eye-sight (if so, please get it checked or if already using get the sight checked and rectified).

Ask her whether the headache is on one side (which can be due to migraine ) or both sides of the face and does she have the heaviness of head on bending forward (which may be because of sinus infection). After ruling out all these if there is no other disease we will go for CT scan of the sinus to confirm disease in ruling out the sinus infection.

Please tell me what medicine she should be given for headache until further diagnosis.

Dr. Dheeraj Kumar Jonnalagadda

#

Kindly give her tablet Hifenac-P twice a day for five days, tablet Safpod (Cefpodoxime)-Clavunate 325 mg twice daily for seven days, tablet Razo-DSR once daily for five days.

Is it normal to have a headache following pituitary tumor surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, My son had granules of the pituitary gland, and it was removed through the nose by surgery around a month ago. Now, he is getting an occasional headache when he goes out in the sun and when meals delayed. He has a history of a severe headache, and it has not improved with the drugs of a ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. Although headaches are common after pituitary gland tumor, the presence of on and off headaches after one month of surgery indicates more possibility of continuing migraine rather than surgery. This is evidenced by trigge...  Read Full

Post-Nasal Drip Associated with Sinusitis

Article Overview: Post-nasal drip is the dripping of mucus from the nasal and sinus passages down the back of the throat. This article talks in detail about this common health nuisance. Read Article

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Post-nasal drip is defined as the dripping of mucus from the nasal and sinus passages down the back of the throat. It is a common health condition affecting males and females equally and is becoming increasingly prevalent in our society. It commonly affects people in the urban areas. It is invariabl...  Read Article

Does the blood pressure medication could cause headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. I have aches in my limbs and thighs especially at night. It is often characterized by heaviness in limbs. I am getting headache chiefly in left side of the head. I am taking painkiller at least once in a week for the same. I am taking Newtel 40 mg for blood pres...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First tell me in detail about your headache to help you in better way. What is the quality of your headache? Is it either pulsatile which means tis-tis or squeezing or aching? Do you have any associated symptoms like nausea, vomiting, facial swelling, difficulty ...  Read Full