Q. My headache persists even after pituitary tumor surgery. What to do?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 15, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2020

My son had granules of the pituitary gland, and it was removed through the nose by surgery around a month ago. Now, he is getting an occasional headache when he goes out in the sun and when meals delayed. He has a history of a severe headache, and it has not improved with the drugs of a migraine.

So, MRI was done, and a pituitary tumor was identified. It was a granuloma as detected by the pathology report. & off. Now, he is on Hydrocortisone 5 mg mane, Vespar 10 mg nocte, Thyroxine 100 ug mane and KCL one tablet twice daily. What should we do now?

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Although headaches are common after pituitary gland tumor, the presence of on and off headaches after one month of surgery indicates more possibility of continuing migraine rather than surgery. This is evidenced by triggering of headaches following sun exposure and delay in meals.

Above all the positive history, migraine for years indicates that a migraine is continuing and pituitary adenoma was just a coincidental finding which was revealed on MRI scan.

Regarding management of a migraine, I feel the same treatment which was effective in the past for migraines should be continued. In case no such progress achieved till date, then we need to look for alternative options to control migraine headaches.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

I am suffering from one side headache. How do i find headache specialist?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from one side headache since last 10 years. I was diagnosed with paranasal sinuses. I am taking medicines for sinus problem and a few periods for migraine. But no results found. Please guide me. Which department should I consult and get treated?  Read Full »

I am experiencing headaches due to light sensitivity. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20 year old female. For the past three months, I have been experiencing daily headaches, intermittent dizziness and vertigo, tinnitus and light sensitivity. I have received a diagnosis of a vestibular migraine and my neurologist reports down beating nystagmus while using Frenzel go...  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»