Q. Will barometric trauma cause hearing loss?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 26, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 28, 2019

I tried scuba diving last week for the first time (did not go all the way underwater for a very long time) but tried the breathing. Then my ears were hurting as I was going underwater, and I came back above surface and stopped. Now, when I swallow, there is a slight clicking sound in my right ear precisely, and hearing is muffled. Is this permanent ear damage? Have I lost my hearing forever?

I went to a doctor today, and they diagnosed me with barometric trauma. She has given me some nasal spray and some prednisone which she said should heal the pressure and clicking noise and remove the drainage in the throat. But I read that barometric trauma can also cause hearing loss. Also, I have small eustachian tubes. Please help.

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Do not panic these issues mostly end safely, especially with the nasal sprays and Prednisone you are taking. Avoid straining, vigorous sneezing, or coughing. If you have to sneeze or cough you should open your mouth while doing it be calm even if your drum has ruptured it can heal again your problem is not permanent. After two weeks of treatment, you can perform a tympanometry and pure tone audiometry to assess the condition of your eustachian tubes and your hearing.

| 

Do you think my hearing is fine? I can hear, but it is slightly muffled. Will my condition lead to hearing loss? Also, will the earing come back to normal or less than normal after healing?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Your hearing will come normal as before. Do not be nervous because nervousness and irritability can delay the recovery. Your problem is simple.

|