Hearing Loss

Can lump in neck with hearing loss be due to nasopharyngeal cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I have had ear pressure and fullness since may of last year in my left ear only. I had a hearing test that showed mild hearing loss. About a week ago I noticed a small lump (Maybe 2?) in my neck. It feels hard but hurts when I push on it sometimes. I do not hav...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The chances for it being NPC is minimal. To rule it out we need to do a nasal endoscopy. What hearing loss came out in the test? Conductive or sensorineural? Did you take any antibiotic to remove the neck lump in case it is due to any infection? I suggest you try a c...  Read Full »

How to aid healing of ear perforation?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a perforated right ear for more than two years. I do not want surgery. Also antibiotics did not work. What are the best steps to be taken?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An ear perforation (ruptured eardrum) can be safe or unsafe. An unsafe perforation has to be operated otherwise life is in danger. A safe perforation can be left unoperated and yet tried to achieve closure. If small perforation then body can heal it and close it if free o...  Read Full »

How will hearing loss impact a child's life?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know, what is your role in working with children with hearing loss, or more specifically, what are the duties that involve the children with hearing loss? When you work with children who have hearing loss, what are the two or three consequences or effects of the hearin...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The primary role in working with children with hearing loss is an early diagnosis of the disease and etiology. Once the diagnosis is made, our duty is to treat the reversible cause of hearing loss (this is more common than irreversible or genetic causes). Our goal is, p...  Read Full »

Does mild high frequency hearing loss get worse in future?

Query: Hello doctor, My 9-year-old daughter has recently been diagnosed with a mild high frequency hearing loss in both ears. Her hearing levels are only very slightly below normal and it is not impacting her day to day in a noticeable way so, for the moment, the audiology team are just monitoring it. M...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your worry. I would say it is possible to develop such a hearing loss due to what we call acoustic trauma, noise-induced. However, we can never be sure whether the loss is due to that incident or due to some other or if the loss was congenitally presen...  Read Full »

My son has severe ear pain and ringing sound in ear. What is the solution for him?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5-year-old son has been complaining of severe ear pain (just right ear) and occasionally says that he hears a sound in the same ear. When he is abroad he has a nonstop cold, phlegm and chest congestion. But when he travels here he is absolutely fine. He also suffers from nose blo...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Have you taken an adenoid x-ray? Can you upload the x-ray if you have taken it? Do you think there could be some allergen in his place abroad which could be causing allergy and nose block in your son? Does he take food properly? Is there any dust inside the house abroad...  Read Full »

Other than cochlear implant, is there any treatment available for hearing loss due to encephalitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-year-old son got encephalitis 40 days back, and he was discharged in five days from the hospital. He recovered very well. We noticed hearing loss from one month. Bera test report shows profound hearing loss, but MRI and Ct are fine. My doctor suggested a cochlear implant. But we ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Surviving encephalitis is like getting another life, given its drastic complications. But the risk of developing long term complications often creates problems. Hearing loss occurs in approximately 2-4% following brain infection. It was rightly detected with BERA (b...  Read Full »

I have earache and hearing loss in the right ear. Do I have an ear infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I have earache and hearing loss in the right ear, jaw crackling sounds while speaking and swollen preauricular lymph nodes, what should I do? Do I have an ear infection?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the details you have provided, there seems to be an infection. The location of it is most probably the ear (especially the outer part called auricle and external auditory canal). To be sure you must consult an ENT specialist who will examine the ear, nose and ...  Read Full »

I am diagnosed with barometric trauma after scuba diving. Will it cause hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I tried scuba diving last week for the first time (did not go all the way underwater for a very long time) but tried the breathing. Then my ears were hurting as I was going underwater, and I came back above surface and stopped. Now, when I swallow, there is a slight clicking sound in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not panic these issues mostly end safely, especially with the nasal sprays and Prednisone you are taking. Avoid straining, vigorous sneezing, or coughing. If you have to sneeze or cough you should open your mouth while doing it be calm even if your drum has ruptur...  Read Full »

Can mold cause ear infections?

Query: Hello doctor, Last year, I noticed that my 3 year old's tonsils were very large. I contacted his doctor. But, he could not find anything wrong. I later noticed him yelling or talking loudly and asking me to repeat a lot. So, I had a¬†hearing test done and he failed. They explained that he had a flui...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your kid has a serous otitis media. The mild conductive hearing loss is due to this. In kids the most common cause is adenotonsillitis. My advice is to get a nasopharynx lateral view X-ray done for adenoids and send me the pictures. Give him an oral decongestant syrup ...  Read Full »

I have ear pain with mild hearing loss and throat pain. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my left ear with mild hearing loss. Sometimes I feel some sort of blocking sensation. Since two days, throat is also paining.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the details, you have given I understand that you have a throat infection for the past two days and you also have left earache and ear block. Also mild hearing loss on that side. This is most probably a resultant of the throat infection. There is a tube called e...  Read Full »