Hearing Loss

Why do I hear a ringing noise in one ear better than the other?

Query: Please give me a meaningful response as i cant aford to reply and i am scared that i am slowly losing my hearing or something. I have had tinnitus in my ears for about 7 months now and it sounds kind of like T.V. static and its not loud so its okay, but today my phone emited a very high pitch sound ...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi. Welcome to Icliniq. There are different causes of Tinnitis (ringing in ears) like Infections, loss of cells, inflammation, advancing age or few other diseases of inner ear. At your age hearing loss is less common unless having a disease. there are two possibilities Ear which hears high pitc...  Read Full »

What are the causes of hearing loss?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother-in-law is suffering from hearing loss for the last 10 days. There is no pain in the ear, but sudden hearing loss. She can hear, but hearing capacity reduced by more than 30%. Please tell me some solution for this. Thank you.  Read Full »

Dr. Geetha Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The description of rapid progression of hearing loss of your mother-in-law fits into a sudden hearing loss. It needs detailed history and examination. What are the onset and progression of hearing loss? Did she have any trauma? Is she on any drug or antibiotic? Is th...  Read Full »

Can a hole in the eardrum result in hearing loss?

Query: My dad is 57 years only and he is a diabetic. 6 months back he was experiencing ear discharge and visited an ENT specialist and was diagnosed with an hole in the eardrum. He was given medication. But the discharge hasnt stopped yet. Now is not able to hear from the left ear. Why is this happening? I...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hi icliniq user, Medicines are jus to manage the problem,proper cure can be done with surgery. Moreover he is diabeic so it's not safe to go for surgery at this age. So continue with the medications. Tell him to put cotton not too deeply while taking bath , it's better not to put water on...  Read Full »

Is there any medication to improve hearing loss in elderly?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom is 67 years old. She got exposed to a sudden loud noise from fireworks about a month ago, and it caused loss of hearing to about 50% (audiometry). She started taking Prednisolone three days after the incident, and also some multivitamin pills, but no improvement yet. Mixed vo...  Read Full »

Dr. Satyabrata Panigrahi

Audiologist, Speech Therapist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. With age, the hearing ability reduces for all, no partiality. That is called presbycusis in medical term. Moreover, the loud noise added to the process of deterioration. If she is diabetic and hypertensive those factors will add on to the deterioration process. Now c...  Read Full »

Why can I not hear after using Q-tip?

Query: Hi doctor, I cleaned my ear with a Q-tip and now I cannot hear. Please help.  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com Most probably in your case the wax would have got pushed further inside due to the Q-tip (earbud). It might be occluding the canal and the ear drum totally, so you cannot hear now. I suggest you to take Dewax or wax-dissolving ear drops, three to four drops daily for th...  Read Full »

Can lump in neck with hearing loss be due to nasopharyngeal cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I have had ear pressure and fullness since may of last year in my left ear only. I had a hearing test that showed mild hearing loss. About a week ago I noticed a small lump (Maybe 2?) in my neck. It feels hard but hurts when I push on it sometimes. I do not hav...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The chances for it being NPC is minimal. To rule it out we need to do a nasal endoscopy. What hearing loss came out in the test? Conductive or sensorineural? Did you take any antibiotic to remove the neck lump in case it is due to any infection? I suggest you try a c...  Read Full »

How to aid healing of ear perforation?

Query: Hi doctor,I have a perforated right ear for more than two years. I do not want surgery. Also antibiotics did not work. What are the best steps to be taken?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. An ear perforation (ruptured eardrum) can be safe or unsafe. An unsafe perforation has to be operated otherwise life is in danger. A safe perforation can be left unoperated and yet tried to achieve closure. If small perforation then body can heal it and close it if free o...  Read Full »

How will hearing loss impact a child's life?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know, what is your role in working with children with hearing loss, or more specifically, what are the duties that involve the children with hearing loss? When you work with children who have hearing loss, what are the two or three consequences or effects of the hearin...  Read Full »

Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The primary role in working with children with hearing loss is an early diagnosis of the disease and etiology. Once the diagnosis is made, our duty is to treat the reversible cause of hearing loss (this is more common than irreversible or genetic causes). Our goal is, p...  Read Full »

Does mild high frequency hearing loss get worse in future?

Query: Hello doctor, My 9-year-old daughter has recently been diagnosed with a mild high frequency hearing loss in both ears. Her hearing levels are only very slightly below normal and it is not impacting her day to day in a noticeable way so, for the moment, the audiology team are just monitoring it. M...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your worry. I would say it is possible to develop such a hearing loss due to what we call acoustic trauma, noise-induced. However, we can never be sure whether the loss is due to that incident or due to some other or if the loss was congenitally presen...  Read Full »

My son has severe ear pain and ringing sound in ear. What is the solution for him?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5-year-old son has been complaining of severe ear pain (just right ear) and occasionally says that he hears a sound in the same ear. When he is abroad he has a nonstop cold, phlegm and chest congestion. But when he travels here he is absolutely fine. He also suffers from nose blo...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Have you taken an adenoid x-ray? Can you upload the x-ray if you have taken it? Do you think there could be some allergen in his place abroad which could be causing allergy and nose block in your son? Does he take food properly? Is there any dust inside the house abroad...  Read Full »