Hearing Loss

My son has severe ear pain and ringing sound in ear. What is the solution for him?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5-year-old son has been complaining of severe ear pain (just right ear) and occasionally says that he hears a sound in the same ear. When he is abroad he has a nonstop cold, phlegm and chest congestion. But when he travels here he is absolutely fine. He also suffers from nose blo...  Read Full »

Allergy Specialist, General Practitioner, ENT Otolaryngologist, Family Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Have you taken an adenoid x-ray? Can you upload the x-ray if you have taken it? Do you think there could be some allergen in his place abroad which could be causing allergy and nose block in your son? Does he take food properly? Is there any dust inside the house abroad...  Read Full »

Other than cochlear implant, is there any treatment available for hearing loss due to encephalitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-year-old son got encephalitis 40 days back, and he was discharged in five days from the hospital. He recovered very well. We noticed hearing loss from one month. Bera test report shows profound hearing loss, but MRI and Ct are fine. My doctor suggested a cochlear implant. But we ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sirisha

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Surviving encephalitis is like getting another life, given its drastic complications. But the risk of developing long term complications often creates problems. Hearing loss occurs in approximately 2-4% following brain infection. It was rightly detected with BERA (b...  Read Full »

I have earache and hearing loss in the right ear. Do I have an ear infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I have earache and hearing loss in the right ear, jaw crackling sounds while speaking and swollen preauricular lymph nodes, what should I do? Do I have an ear infection?  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per the details you have provided, there seems to be an infection. The location of it is most probably the ear (especially the outer part called auricle and external auditory canal). To be sure you must consult an ENT specialist who will examine the ear, nose and ...  Read Full »

I am diagnosed with barometric trauma after scuba diving. Will it cause hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I tried scuba diving last week for the first time (did not go all the way underwater for a very long time) but tried the breathing. Then my ears were hurting as I was going underwater, and I came back above surface and stopped. Now, when I swallow, there is a slight clicking sound in ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not panic these issues mostly end safely, especially with the nasal sprays and Prednisone you are taking. Avoid straining, vigorous sneezing, or coughing. If you have to sneeze or cough you should open your mouth while doing it be calm even if your drum has ruptur...  Read Full »

Can mold cause ear infections?

Query: Hello doctor, Last year, I noticed that my 3 year old's tonsils were very large. I contacted his doctor. But, he could not find anything wrong. I later noticed him yelling or talking loudly and asking me to repeat a lot. So, I had a¬†hearing test done and he failed. They explained that he had a flui...  Read Full »

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Otolaryngologist, Audiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your kid has a serous otitis media. The mild conductive hearing loss is due to this. In kids the most common cause is adenotonsillitis. My advice is to get a nasopharynx lateral view X-ray done for adenoids and send me the pictures. Give him an oral decongestant syrup ...  Read Full »

I have ear pain with mild hearing loss and throat pain. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in my left ear with mild hearing loss. Sometimes I feel some sort of blocking sensation. Since two days, throat is also paining.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. With the details, you have given I understand that you have a throat infection for the past two days and you also have left earache and ear block. Also mild hearing loss on that side. This is most probably a resultant of the throat infection. There is a tube called e...  Read Full »

In the attached file the person has white forelock and dark blue eyes. Could this be Waardenburg syndrome 2?

Query: Hello doctor, In the attached image, there can be seen as a reflection of light or white forelock. He looks to me to be between 18 and 21. His eyes are bright blue, and it cannot be seen in the picture. I am wondering if he can be diagnosed with Waardenburg syndrome 2.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is difficult to differentiate between syndrome 1 and 2. But with the forelock of hair, he may have Waardenburg. But we must see if there is any hearing loss or defect in arms and other limbs. Can you provide more details? Any history of hearing loss? Congenital he...  Read Full »

Can speech and vocal issues be linked to early-onset hearing problems?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if speech and vocal issues can be linked to early-onset hearing loss or hearing problems. I am wondering if our diagnosis of vocal nodules from vocal abuse actually is stemming from overcompensating to hear at a normal volume.  Read Full »

Dr. Syed Tehmid

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, the development of speech is definitely related to hearing. Early-onset hearing loss does impair development of speech as it is known that congenitally deaf are also mute. Regarding the other part, vocal abuse is in fact the only cause of vocal nodules. So tech...  Read Full »

I have MS and have taken MRI. What can be the reason for hearing loss?

Query: Hello doctor, I currently have MS and receive Tysabri as a treatment. During my recent MRI, several things showed up, which have been dismissed out of hand by my MS Provider. 1. In comparison to previous scans, there is a new focus of increased signal change in the right temporal lobe medially adj...  Read Full »

Dr. Ardit Tela

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your question carefully, and I will try to answer in detail. I understand your concern. I would like to have additional information please, 1. Since when you have the diagnosis of MS and for how long are you on Tysabri (Natalizumab)? 2. When was your heari...  Read Full »

I have ear pain after using headphones. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, Yesterday I used earphones which fit directly into ears for a very long-time. Today I am having extreme unbearable pain in back of head and ears. I have stopped using earphones now. Is there a fast fix for this unbearable back head pain? Can I take Disprin (I never take painkillers)? I us...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. My understanding and inference is that the pain is not related to the earphones or sound level. This is because of loud noise which usually produces classical symptoms like giddiness, ringing sound in ear, hearing loss, intolerance to loud sounds and some pain in ear. Y...  Read Full »