Q. Will my mild hearing loss reverse by itself?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane
Published on Oct 31, 2018

I recently had a hearing test which indicated mild hearing loss at the 4k Hz level. The audiologist said not to worry about it at all, protect my ears and it will very unlikely worsen. He even mentioned that it may reverse itself. I am only 32 years old, so I understand any recording above the 20DB mark is not ideal. The values are for 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k and 8k Hz levels. Left is 10, 5, 15, 20, 25, 20 (air conduction), left is n/a, 10, 10, 20, 25, n/a (bone conduction). Right is 15, 10, 15, 15, 30, 15 (air conduction).

So my direct questions are would you agree that this is a mild case of hearing loss and there should not be anything to worry about at this stage provided I look after my hearing and ensure I am not exposed to loud sounds too often? Is it likely that this will not worsen (excluding any age-related hearing loss as I get older)? Are my audiologist's comments that it may even reverse itself accurate? How severe is this level of hearing loss and what implications will it mean?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

Audiology Speech Therapist
#

According to the reports indicated (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is a dip at 4k which indicated a noise-induced hearing loss. Many people suggest that it is not a thing to be worried about, however, we cannot neglect it completely. There are various kinds of hearing loss having various reasons. In this kind of audiogram, it is clear that you have exposed yourself to loud sounds. Now as you have clarified you use headphones for 1 or 2 hours. Let me inform a headphone noise can have a different effect on different people. Some people are more susceptible to hearing loss. Check your work environment if it is noisy you may suffer from hearing loss too. It is not much likely to increase if you are careful. Your audiologist comments are not entirely accurate. The 4k dip is likely to reverse when the 4k area in the organ of corti get enough of blood supply to reverse the damage. The loss is not that severe which will affect your quality of life. But we need to be careful.

What could cause hearing loss?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother-in-law is suffering from hearing loss for the last 10 days. There is no pain in the ear, but sudden hearing loss. She can hear, but hearing capacity reduced by more than 30%. Please tell me some solution for this. Thank you.  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The description of rapid progression of hearing loss of your mother-in-law fits into a sudden hearing loss. It needs detailed history and examination. What are the onset and progression of hearing loss? Did she have any trauma? Is she on any drug or antibiotic? Is th...  Read Full

What are the treatment options in case of SNHL?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male. I am suffering from a sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. So, I want to make my hearing normal again. I believe that a solution exists. Let me know what can be done to improve hearing. I have been having this issue since a long time, but I did not take pr...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kumar Ashutosh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I can see from your audiogram (attachment removed to protect patient identity), you have a moderate high-frequency sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL), that too from a long time as you mentioned. In case of sensorineural hearing loss, we have these options of treatm...  Read Full

Am I losing hearing based on MRI and tympanogram test results?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a normal MRI and a normal tympanogram. Am I losing hearing based on both the test results?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, you are not (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But I would like to see the graph of pure tone audiogram to pick out if there is any early hearing loss. Kindly upload the graph of your hearing test.  Read Full

Ask an Audiologist Now