Q. I experience hearing loss in right ear and it does not improve even after medicines. Why?

Dr. Surabhi Chopra

For about three weeks now my right ear is not hearing properly, feels blocked some times and pains some times. My hearing has come down probably to only 30% that I can understand only when some one speaks on this ear. My other ear is fine. I consulted a GP who could not locate any infection and said this is because of the eustachian tube is blocked. He had given me hay fever tablet and Beclomethasone nose spray. I am seeing no difference after two weeks also. Doctor says it might take six weeks some time. I cannot consult an ENT specialist now and I am little worried. Does it really take so long? What can I do to expedite? How do I be sure that it is not any other complication?

#

According to the symptoms you have mentioned the condition in your right ear is called SOM (serous otitis media). It is a collection of sterile glue like fluid behind the ear drum. Nothing to worry about, and yes it takes at least four weeks to resolve but is a treatable condition.

Treatment of underlying cause i.e. cough, cold if you have one is necessary.

Start on antihistaminics Levocetirizine 5 mg or Fexofenadine twice daily.

Instead of spray, it is better to use decongestant nasal drops Oxymetazoline two drops in both nostrils three times a day.

Take steam inhalation once in the morning and once in the evening.

Perform Valsalva maneuver at least thrice daily for three minutes. Blow air in the cheeks, then close your mouth and pinch your nose and try to expel the air through ears. This maneuver is very helpful but has to be performed under the proper guidance of an ENT specialist or you can log in to youtube and look for videos. Do not apply too much pressure on eardrums while performing.

|