Q. I experience hearing loss in right ear and it does not improve even after medicines. Why?

Dr. Surabhi Chopra
Published on Dec 01, 2019

For about three weeks now my right ear is not hearing properly, feels blocked some times and pains some times. My hearing has come down probably to only 30% that I can understand only when some one speaks on this ear. My other ear is fine. I consulted a GP who could not locate any infection and said this is because of the eustachian tube is blocked. He had given me hay fever tablet and Beclomethasone nose spray. I am seeing no difference after two weeks also. Doctor says it might take six weeks some time. I cannot consult an ENT specialist now and I am little worried. Does it really take so long? What can I do to expedite? How do I be sure that it is not any other complication?

Dr. Surabhi Chopra

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

According to the symptoms you have mentioned the condition in your right ear is called SOM (serous otitis media). It is a collection of sterile glue like fluid behind the ear drum. Nothing to worry about, and yes it takes at least four weeks to resolve but is a treatable condition.

Treatment of underlying cause i.e. cough, cold if you have one is necessary.

Start on antihistaminics Levocetirizine 5 mg or Fexofenadine twice daily.

Instead of spray, it is better to use decongestant nasal drops Oxymetazoline two drops in both nostrils three times a day.

Take steam inhalation once in the morning and once in the evening.

Perform Valsalva maneuver at least thrice daily for three minutes. Blow air in the cheeks, then close your mouth and pinch your nose and try to expel the air through ears. This maneuver is very helpful but has to be performed under the proper guidance of an ENT specialist or you can log in to youtube and look for videos. Do not apply too much pressure on eardrums while performing.

| 

Middle Ear Infection (Adults) - Types, Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention

Article Overview: Middle ear infection or otitis media not only affects children but can affect adults too. It can cause severe ear pain and fever, and sometimes require treatment. Read the article to know about its symptoms, causes, types, diagnosis, and treatment options. Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

Introduction: Did you know your ear has three different sections? These sections work together to collect sounds and help us hear by sending these sound signals to the brain. The sections of the ear are: Outer ear - It consists of the pinna or auricle (the outer part of the ear that you see) a...  Read Article

What is the reason for ringing in ear post ear infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an ear infection but my ear infection has gone now but very low pitched ringing in my right ear is not stopping.  Read Full »

Can mold cause ear infections?

Query: Hello doctor, Last year, I noticed that my 3 year old's tonsils were very large. I contacted his doctor. But, he could not find anything wrong. I later noticed him yelling or talking loudly and asking me to repeat a lot. So, I had a hearing test done and he failed. They explained that he had a flui...  Read Full »