Q. Is the sharp pain that I experienced on my left armpit, a sign of heart attack?

Answered by Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Heart Attack or Hypothyroidism? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: Is the sharp pain that I experienced on my left armpit, a sign of heart attack?

I am a 27 year old female. My weight is 195 lbs and height is 5'8". I have hypothyroidism and I am on Synthroid. I am taking Amoxicillin for a lingering cold. Yesterday, I experienced a sharp pain on my left side, under my armpit, equal with my left breast. I had this episode of pain twice yesterday. On both the occasions, the pain lasted for about 5 to 10 minutes. When I put my hand on the area it felt as though something was passing through my ribs and once it passed the pain subsided and I was fine. There was a bit of tenderness in the region of pain. I am wondering whether this is due to gas from all the holiday food and carbonated drinks. Or is this something serious that I should get looked at? I wanted to wait and see if it happened again, but was looking for a second opinion on that. Both my grandparents passed away because of heart attack and so, I am worried. I am a mother of two kids and do not want there to be an issue.