Q. Is the sharp pain that I experienced on my left armpit, a sign of heart attack?

Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai
Published on Jan 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2019

I am a 27 year old female. My weight is 195 lbs and height is 5'8". I have hypothyroidism and I am on Synthroid. I am taking Amoxicillin for a lingering cold. Yesterday, I experienced a sharp pain on my left side, under my armpit, equal with my left breast. I had this episode of pain twice yesterday. On both the occasions, the pain lasted for about 5 to 10 minutes. When I put my hand on the area it felt as though something was passing through my ribs and once it passed the pain subsided and I was fine. There was a bit of tenderness in the region of pain. I am wondering whether this is due to gas from all the holiday food and carbonated drinks. Or is this something serious that I should get looked at? I wanted to wait and see if it happened again, but was looking for a second opinion on that. Both my grandparents passed away because of heart attack and so, I am worried. I am a mother of two kids and do not want there to be an issue.

Dr. Santosh Badaku Desai

General Practitioner Internal Medicine
#

I understand your concern as your grandparents passed of a heart attack, the fear you have is genuine. But, just pain in your chest is not an indication of a heart attack. Since you gave a history of carbonated food and tablet Amoxicillin along with thyroid medication, these both can cause an acid reflux and that can cause heartburn and lead to such non-specific pain.

However, if the pain was associated with sweating and stabbing character or constricting type with radiation to the left arm, then it is always better to get an ECG done to see if it is related to your heart.

Heartburn.

ECG.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Can you take Tylenol with Amoxicillin?

Query: Hi doctor, Yesterday, I had my wisdom tooth extracted. I received a prescription for Tylenol 3 (equivalent to Acetaminophen 300 mg and Codeine 30 mg) for pain and Amoxicillin (500 mg) to prevent infection. I immediately took one Amoxicillin as I walked out of the dental office and for the rest of th...  Read Full »

How to Treat Heartburn?

Article Overview: The burning sensation in the chest due to acid regurgitating into the esophagus is called heartburn. Learn the causes, treatment, and prevention of heartburn. Read Article

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

Usually at night, we may feel a sour liquid in our throat coming from beneath or burning sensation in our upper tummy. The pain goes up through our chest to the throat. Sometimes we fear it as a heart attack. This is called heartburn or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) in medical terms. How D...  Read Article

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full »