Q. I have swollen feet with a problem of heart failure. What is the management?

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 18, 2021

I am 35 years old with a weight of 75 kilograms and a height of five feet four inches. I suffer from swelling of foot on both legs for a month. Two years back, I got heart failure and I was in six weeks of confinement. I discontinued my treatment after few days. My last check-up was done last year. Till now, I did not go for a checkup due to pandemics. I am taking Ketoanalogue, Clopidogrel 75 ng, Carvedilol 12.5 mg, and Amlodipine 10 mg.

#

You got heart failure two years back and now, you suffer from swollen feet on both legs. You are taking medicines for it. Please mention the cause of heart failure. Please mention whether it was caused due to heart attack or dilated cardiomyopathy and myocarditis. Kindly tell your left ventricular ejection fraction and so I can guide you better. Kindly send your ECG (electrocardiogram). For now, you can take these medicines for heart failure. You can take tablet Carvedilol 12.5 mg twice a day, tablet Ramipril 5 mg, and stop taking Amlodipine. It can cause swelling in the feet. You can take tablet Furosemide 40 mg in the morning and afternoon. If you had a heart attack previously, you can take tablet Aspirin 75 mg daily and tablet Rosuvastatin 20 mg once daily. Kindly send your ECG, echocardiography, and recent renal function test reports.

You can have fluid overload due to Amlodipine, excessive salt intake, renal disorder, and non-adherence to medicines.

You need to do ECG (electrocardiogram), echocardiography, renal function tests, and electrolytes.

Follow as mentioned above. It can be changed after seeing your results of investigations.

Reduce your salt intake.

Have a follow-up after a week with detailed history and reports.

| 
1 out of 1 likes