Q. I had tachycardia after a heavy period. Why?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
Published on Nov 15, 2017

Last month, I did a health check-up and everything was fine. Later, I had my cycle a little heavy compared to my regular one. I felt quite weak. I went for an ECG in a local diagnostic center. It showed tachycardia and an early transition posterior infarct. I am very prone to anxiety. Please tell me what to do as I am going crazy.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

From the limited details on this case that I have, it seems you are worried about the finding on the EKG (electrocardiogram) as early transition infarct of the posterior wall.

• As you had a recent heavy menstrual bleed and you were feeling sick, that is why you got a racing heart reply (tachycardia) in the EKG reports.
  • When there is less than normal blood in our body, obviously less blood is circulated through the lungs and less oxygen is mixed into the blood what we have. Our body needs the same amount of oxygen it used to have before the blood volume declined. To fulfill the need, the heart jumps in to help the lungs in fulfilling our body's oxygen needs. The heart starts racing and pumping more than normal times a minute. This is called tachycardia that is caught on your EKG. Our body refuels the lost blood in a couple of weeks to a month. And this temporary compensation mechanism of the heart's over-pumping calms down to normal. You do not have to do anything. It is all automatic and is being regulated through mechanisms running naturally in our body.
  • Regarding the posterior infarct, it means there may be something wrong with the blood vessels supplying your heart. We cannot say for sure what it can be and how serious it is without probing and evaluating further. In case our heart gets less than needed blood supply for its muscles to work properly, it gets this kind of findings as you got on the EKG. But, this is not something we can say is very dangerous. It can be just nothing to a serious issue. You need to get evaluated by a cardiologist. He would be able to probe further to get a clear answer about what is going on in there. He would also see if there is anemia (less than normal blood and blood components). Do not panic and consult a cardiologist as soon as possible.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask me if you need further assistance. I would be happy to help.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Can you see the attached CBC report, and let me know if there is anything serious ?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife's iron and ferritin were low, so the doctor ordered CBC. CBC showed low WBC, high monocytes, and high RBC, which is what made us scared. She has schistocytes and elliptocytes among other RBC morphologies. We read about it and are very worried, and she had a C-section three years...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your wife's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The report shows schistocytes, which are fragmented RBC (red blood cell), commonly seen in hemolytic anemia. So, to rule out hemolysis, serum LDH (lactate dehydrogenase), ret...  Read Full

What is the maximum iron intake for a man?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old male, who is 1.8 m tall, and I weigh 106 kg. I have a problem recently. I went to a dentist for an abscess, and I had blood a bit removed, so I felt a bit weak. And finally some days after, I felt I needed iron supplements. I took one 100 mg and then took another 100...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shobhit Shah

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. To know about iron overload, get serum ferritin and iron levels checked. In iron-deficiency, an elementary iron of 100 to 200 mg per day is advised. In a normal person, daily allowance is hardly 25 mg per day. You just stop your iron supplements and have these tests...  Read Full

Are heart palpitations, tachycardia and shortness of breath due to mitral valve stenosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from heart palpitations (especially when I lie down or do some physical activity), shortness of breath, tachycardia for the past three months. I am taking Propranolol (20 mg per day) for this. Propranolol is controlling trachycardia a bit. In stress my condition worsens...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems to be due to anxiety. To exclude any valvular disorder, the cardiologist will auscultate your heart carefully, if he listens any abnormal sound he may advise echo, otherwise no need. Regarding palpitations, better have an ECG done at the time of symptoms or alt...  Read Full