Q. Will my height permanently stop increasing after my first period?

Dr. Thiyagarajan. T
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 21, 2021 and last reviewed on: Oct 25, 2021

I am a 15-year-old female. I hit puberty at the age of 13. Since then, my height is not growing. I think I have a growth hormone deficiency. My father's height is 5'9," and my mother's height is 4'7".

I consulted an endocrinologist, and he gave me vitamin supplements. He said that my height would permanently stop growing after my first period. Is it true?

If I take a growth hormone injection, will my height grow?

Does growth hormone injection have any side effects? Will I grow 4 to 6 inches tall? Why is my height not increasing?

Kindly help.

#

Your potential genetic height based on your father's and mother's height is 150 cm. You are 1 inch shorter than it and not very far from your genetic height. You do not have a growth hormone deficiency. Girls usually slow down on their growth after their first period. Your height will increase by 2 inches.

Growth hormone injections may not be indicated for you. And it can have side effects like headache, high blood pressure, swelling of hands and feet, risk of cancer, and heart disease.

Kindly answer the following to help you better;

1) Have you done a bone age x-ray?

2) Did you check your thyroid?

Take care.

|