Q. I am 5'7" in height. Kindly advice me to reach the height above 5'9".

and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 03, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2019

I am a 17-year-old. I am 5'7" in height and140 lbs weight. My dad is 5'9, and my mom is 5'1. I would like to at least reach 5'9 to 5'10. My diet is exceptional. I am taking a multivitamin, and I do not have any deficiencies. I am thinking of taking 1500 mg of Glucosamine because I read studies concluding that it may help a bit. Would you recommend glucosamine, or something else?

Also, do you think I can still reach my height goal? I am worried that I may have stunted my growth. I have had insomnia, depression, and anxiety for four years now. This has affected my life considerably, and I am worried I would not grow to my potential height because of it. I also have not been getting too much calcium and protein because I have been avoiding dairy products. Should I be drinking more milk and if so, how much?

#

Your average expected height is close to 5'6. Best way to help increase height is doing stretching exercises three to four times a week for 20 minutes in a 30 minutes session. You can try Glucosamine for a year but if it is not helping then taking it beyond that may not help. You can try Protein shakes, Calcium 800 to 1000 mg/d and Vitamin D 1000 to 2000 IU/d supplements to avoid the deficiencies. I hope it helps.

Can knee and pelvic x-ray help to check, whether human growth hormone(HGH) will work for me?

Query: Dear Doctor, I have attached images of the latest x-ray imaging (attachment removed to protect user identity). I have taken this x-ray to determine my bone age, reason is that I had planned on using growth hormone therapy to help me grow taller. I was told that these bone age imaging of the wrist is...  Read Full >>

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hand x-ray for bone age is really meant for paediatric age determination (i.e, upto 12 years). You need to provide a few details to know if HGH will work for you or not. What is your current height? What is the height of your parents?  You really need the Risser's sign...  Read Full

How much does lack of exercise during growing years stunt growth?

Query: Hello doctor, How much does lack of exercise during growing years stunt growth? How many inches does it usually subtract from your adult height?  Read Full >>

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As of right now, there are no studies to calculate inches lost by physical exercise. However, height is a function of genetics and your parental and ancestral genes play a major role in your physical appearance, but a small amount of environmental change does affect ...  Read Full