Q. Is it hip arthritis? I am having pain above my right hip and little swollen.

Dr. Vaibhav Ramesh Gandhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 17, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 12, 2018

Dear doctor,

I am having pain above my right hip. It feels a little swollen and a little pain in my lower back above the right hip. I can feel the pain more when taking a breath. My lower back feels like it is burning. Give me any advice.

#

I have studied your case. As per your history, there can be hip arthritis which can be degenerative or due to avascular necrosis of femoral head (AVN). I will advise you to take an x-ray of hip again and you can consult me with the reports or with your doctor.

After clinical examination, if AVN (avascular necrosis) is suspected, then you will need MRI. Till that time, you can take analgesic and cartilage protecting medication like Glucosamine sulfate.

For hip arthritis, joint flexion, extension and rotation exercises will help. If required intra-articular injection can be given. Diet rich in calcium and protein will help.

If the pain is in pelvis then, ultrasonography or MRI spine may be required.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries, please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

An expert physiotherapist online will help you better to learn more exercises in proper protocol --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

| 

How dangerous is staphylococcus infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I had unprotected sex two months back and developed Streptococcal infection within a day. I took Amoxicillin to get rid of it. Within five days developed yeast infection and got treatment for that. Now, I have reactive arthritis. I got two painless red bumps on the back of my hand and I d...  Read Full »

Can problem in the hip cause knee pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I have stiffness and pain in thighs and knees for more than a year. I cannot sit properly and stand up instantly. I am having problem in each and every activity involving legs. I have reduced mobility and flexibility of legs. My report shows AVN stage 3 of hip joint, f...  Read Full »

What is the best treatment for Erb's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has Erbs palsy but we did physiotherapy for three months and the doctor said she is fine but she is still struggling with the hand and this is about six months after the doctor discharged us. Please tell me what should I do.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now