Q. Is it hip arthritis? I am having pain above my right hip and little swollen.

Dr. Vaibhav Ramesh Gandhi
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 17, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 12, 2018

Dear doctor,

I am having pain above my right hip. It feels a little swollen and a little pain in my lower back above the right hip. I can feel the pain more when taking a breath. My lower back feels like it is burning. Give me any advice.

#

I have studied your case. As per your history, there can be hip arthritis which can be degenerative or due to avascular necrosis of femoral head (AVN). I will advise you to take an x-ray of hip again and you can consult me with the reports or with your doctor.

After clinical examination, if AVN (avascular necrosis) is suspected, then you will need MRI. Till that time, you can take analgesic and cartilage protecting medication like Glucosamine sulfate.

For hip arthritis, joint flexion, extension and rotation exercises will help. If required intra-articular injection can be given. Diet rich in calcium and protein will help.

If the pain is in pelvis then, ultrasonography or MRI spine may be required.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries, please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

An expert physiotherapist online will help you better to learn more exercises in proper protocol --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

|