Q. Does puberty slow down the height growth in girls?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

My daughter has had her menarche about one year ago. Her growth slowed down and I wondered if she would grow more. We took her to a growth clinic and checked her bone age with AI (artificial intelligence) system. Her bone age turned out to be 13 years (her actual age was 12 years and 6 months). Her current height is 161 cm, and the TW3 prediction said her adult height is 169.7 +/- 3 cm. I wonder how reliable the prediction is, and what may stop her from reaching this potential height.

#

I just read your query and can understand your concern about your daughter. Since your daughter has reached puberty, the bone growth plates start fusing which is a normal process that occurs post-puberty. The bone growth starts decelerating and hence the height can not increase beyond a few +/- 5 cms at the most.

The TW3 (Tanner Whitehouse) prediction is based on generalized data from the children and cannot be entirely precise. In this, the bone age is a round figure so it says 13 years and it is not unusual.

|