Q. Why has not my height increased in the last five years?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Oct 08, 2017

Hi doctor,

I am an 18 year old male. I have a question concerning my height. I grew from 5 feet and 2 inches to 5 feet and 9 inches between 11 to 13 years. I did not have any noticeable growth since then. Usually, you would consider me as an early bloomer, but I had not shown signs of puberty until I was 12 to 13 years old, which would make me an average to late bloomer. My legs are very long (34.5 inches inseam) and my torso is reasonably shorter. My question is, why did not I grow in these last five years by height? My family members are with the following height: mother 5 feet and 85 inches, father 5 feet and 10 inches, grandfather 6 feet and 1 inch, and my uncle 6 feet and 2 inches.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query.

• From what you have mentioned, it does not appear that you have a delay in your height growth velocity. According to your parent's height, your predicted height turns out to be 5 feet and 11 inches, and your current height is 5 feet and 10 inches which is not far behind your expected height.
  • Yes, your growth spurt was high at the time of puberty and that is a normal phenomenon. Once puberty is achieved, the height velocity drops and gets balanced eventually. You still have time to grow in a smaller phase before your growth plates fuse.
  • Try to sleep well at night and do exercise daily like cycling. Take a well-balanced diet.

Hope you find my advice beneficial. Good luck.

For further queries consult an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Why is a 10-year-old kid gaining more weight?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 10 years 5 months old and is gaining weight. I feel it is more than normal. Thyroid test has been done. He is fully healthy and has food normally.  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand all your concerns. I have checked the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The values point to the state of hypothyroidism. Please revise with me if he has any symptoms like cold intolerance, constipation, low heartbeats or ove...  Read Full

Can I grow any longer by taking HGH?

Query: Hi doctor, Can I grow any longer? I am 16 years old. My parents' heights are about 5'5" and 5'0" and my sister is 5'1". I had my knee's and hand's X-ray and both of them are fused. Since then I have grown only an inch or two. I was 5'1" back then now I am like 5'3" or 5'4" in morning. I have been ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and from what you have mentioned it appears that you would like to grow taller. Well, your predicted height according to your parents' height is expected to be 5'5". Even if your X-ray shows that your bones have fused it is still possible for ...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now