Q. Why has not my height increased in the last five years?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Hi doctor,

I am an 18 year old male. I have a question concerning my height. I grew from 5 feet and 2 inches to 5 feet and 9 inches between 11 to 13 years. I did not have any noticeable growth since then. Usually, you would consider me as an early bloomer, but I had not shown signs of puberty until I was 12 to 13 years old, which would make me an average to late bloomer. My legs are very long (34.5 inches inseam) and my torso is reasonably shorter. My question is, why did not I grow in these last five years by height? My family members are with the following height: mother 5 feet and 85 inches, father 5 feet and 10 inches, grandfather 6 feet and 1 inch, and my uncle 6 feet and 2 inches.

#

I just read your query.

• From what you have mentioned, it does not appear that you have a delay in your height growth velocity. According to your parent's height, your predicted height turns out to be 5 feet and 11 inches, and your current height is 5 feet and 10 inches which is not far behind your expected height.
  • Yes, your growth spurt was high at the time of puberty and that is a normal phenomenon. Once puberty is achieved, the height velocity drops and gets balanced eventually. You still have time to grow in a smaller phase before your growth plates fuse.
  • Try to sleep well at night and do exercise daily like cycling. Take a well-balanced diet.

Hope you find my advice beneficial. Good luck.

For further queries consult an endocrinologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|