Q. Is there any supplement that my brother can take to grow taller?

Dr. Vandana Andrews
Published on Jan 19, 2017

My brother is a 15 year old boy. I am 157 cm, which I think is short for a 15 year old. Is there any supplement or vitamin that he can take to grow taller?

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I understand your concern.

• Height is quite a concern for teens. We have to figure out that the height we have is predominately a genetic factor. So, traits like height, hair, eyes and facial expression we get it from our ancestor.
  • If your parents are tall, then there are real chances of you having a height similar to them. There are other things like lifestyle and games that can contribute a little percentage of good height.
  • Men tend to grow tall until the age of 20 years. Till your brother attain the age of 20, any vitamins or supplements is not advised. It can have a serious side effect on one.
  • Meanwhile, the things that can help your brother grow tall are good diet and active lifestyle. What I meant by good diet is having at least two glass of milk daily. Milk is a rich source of calcium and as a growing kid, you need calcium for development of bones. Include, a natural source of proteins like fish, egg whites and nuts like almonds and walnuts in your diet.
  • Stay active, limit your television time by playing outdoor games like basketball or simply playing in the park, running and staying active. All these simple things will help your brother become taller with age.
  • Last but not the least, sleep 8 to 9 hours (10 PM to 7 AM) as at night the growth hormones are secreted in the body that help in overall growth.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

Can a gay man father a child?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a gay, married to a woman and had sex with my wife. My question is can my sperms impregnate my wife? If it happens, my children will be straight or gay?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, even if you have homosexual orientation even then you will be able to make your wife pregnant. No need to worry for that provided your sperms count is normal. Homosexuality does not have direct genetic inheritance. So, no need to get worried for that too. For mor...  Read Full

When is an MRI Necessary for Low Back Pain or Neck Pain?

Article Overview: The decision of when to do an MRI for patients with low back or neck pain depends upon assessing the risk of a serious condition being present as revealed by warning symptoms in the history or signs in the physical examination. Read Article

Dr. Tony Magana
Spine Health Specialist

How does an MRI Machine Work? Unlike traditional x-rays or computerized axial tomography otherwise known as CT Scan, MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) does not use any radiation and thus as far as scientifically known, it is much safer than x-rays. The patient is placed in a very strong magnetic fie...  Read Article

Ask an Endocrinologist Now