Q. Is there any supplement that my brother can take to grow taller?

Dr. Vandana Andrews
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 20, 2021

My brother is a 15 year old boy. I am 157 cm, which I think is short for a 15 year old. Is there any supplement or vitamin that he can take to grow taller?

#

I understand your concern.

• Height is quite a concern for teens. We have to figure out that the height we have is predominately a genetic factor. So, traits like height, hair, eyes and facial expression we get it from our ancestor.
  • If your parents are tall, then there are real chances of you having a height similar to them. There are other things like lifestyle and games that can contribute a little percentage of good height.
  • Men tend to grow tall until the age of 20 years. Till your brother attain the age of 20, any vitamins or supplements is not advised. It can have a serious side effect on one.
  • Meanwhile, the things that can help your brother grow tall are good diet and active lifestyle. What I meant by good diet is having at least two glass of milk daily. Milk is a rich source of calcium and as a growing kid, you need calcium for development of bones. Include, a natural source of proteins like fish, egg whites and nuts like almonds and walnuts in your diet.
  • Stay active, limit your television time by playing outdoor games like basketball or simply playing in the park, running and staying active. All these simple things will help your brother become taller with age.
  • Last but not the least, sleep 8 to 9 hours (10 PM to 7 AM) as at night the growth hormones are secreted in the body that help in overall growth.

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

|