Q. What is the reason for abnormal weight gain in a 10-year-old kid?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

My son is 10 years 5 months old and is gaining weight. I feel it is more than normal. Thyroid test has been done. He is fully healthy and has food normally.

I understand all your concerns.

I have checked the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The values point to the state of hypothyroidism. Please revise with me if he has any symptoms like cold intolerance, constipation, low heartbeats or over sleepiness. In case of confirmed diagnosis of hypothyroidism, hormone replacement is required in order to control the symptoms. Wish him all well-being.

Can it affect the height gain in the coming years? He seems to be lazy. However, sleep is normal and no other symptoms as you mentioned. He is not interested in physical activities or sports.

Thanks for your follow up.

We have three positive findings. One laboratory and two symptoms. So your son has hypothyroidism which means that his thyroid gland is not forming enough thyroid hormones responsible for body metabolism. Thyroid hormones deficiency is not responsible for the growth, so, less likely to cause short stature directly but as I said the whole body metabolism will be affected so the height could be affected indirectly over time if not corrected.

We start with 25 mcg Levothyroxine tablet per day for one week then 50 mcg Levothyroxine tablet per day and repeat TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) level after one month and dose can be altered accordingly. The dose has been calculated according to the body weight (40 kg). Medical follow up is required. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Is there any ayurvedic weight gain supplement?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to gain weight. Is there any ayurvedic weight gain supplement? Can I take Nutrigain? Please help me,  Read Full >>

Dr. Ishwar Chandra Rai

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Nutrigain is a herbal product, you can use it to gain weight. Weight gain or loss depends on your appetite. If your appetite is not good, then whatever you eat, it will never increase your weight. Yoga and exercise can regulate your metabolism and it will be able to incre...  Read Full

Should hypothyroidism medicine be given for TSH level 8.12?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother aged 75 years has TSH 8.12. She has adrenalism and takes Hisone 12 mg daily. Should she be administered medicine for hypothyroidism?  Read Full >>

Dr. _-----

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are higher chances of hypothyroidism in a patient who has hypoadrenalism (Addison's disease). These both conditions can be the manifestation of the same underlying process (autoimmune). If your mother is symptomatic (weakness, dry skin, hair loss, constipation,...  Read Full

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Salam Salloum

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please be advised that a normal ECG while you do not have the palpitation feeling, is not diagnostic of the palpitation. You need to have a cardiac monitor. If the palpitation happens every day, then a 24 hours cardiac monitor should pick them up. If they happen every 2...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now