Q. As I took the wrong dosage for H. pylori infection, bacteria are now resistant. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2021

I have hair loss, which is not growing, fainting, low energy, and stomachache. I have been diagnosed with H.pylori and gastritis. My doctor gave me capsule Pylera three tablets per meal and Omeprazole one tablet. After I finished the treatment, I discovered that I took the wrong dosage of one pill per meal. Now the bacteria is resistant to capsule Pylera. What antibiotics should I take as second-line treatment?

#

Well, you already have taken a very effective dose of capsule Pylera (Bismuth subcitrate potassium, Metronidazole, and Tetracycline hydrochloride). Every bug in another human responds differently. I suggest you test for the H.pylori stool antigen, confirm whether it is still present, and then consider starting a second course of treatment. How many days has it been since you finished the course?

If you just completed the dose today or yesterday, I suggest you complete the course of Pylera with omeprazole for another 10 days and this total time dose as prescribed earlier. The bug probably has responded to the earlier doses as well. If you have finished the course well before a week or two weeks, then wait to complete at least four weeks, and then test for H pylori stool antigen. If it is present after that, we can consider further treatment.

Otherwise, if you want to take another course without testing it, then I suggest you with:

• Capsule Amoxicillin 1 gm twice daily for 10 days.
  • Tablet Clarithromycin 500 mg twice daily for 10 days.
  • Capsule Omeprazole 40 mg once daily for 10 days.

|