Q. As I took the wrong dosage for H. pylori infection, bacteria are now resistant. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

hello

i have been diagnosed with h.pylori and gastric , my doctor wrote me pylera 3 pills per meal + omeprazole 1 pill. after i finished the treatment i discovered that i have been taking the wrong dosage i was taking one pill per meal , now the bacter is resistant to pylera, what antibiotics should i take as second line treatment ? I have hair loss, which is not growing, fainting, low energy, and stomachache. Thank you.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Hello. I welcome you to icliniq.

Well you already have taken a very effective dose of pylera. Every bug in another human respond differently. I suggest you to test for H pylori stool antigen and confirm whether it is still present, and then consider starting second course of treatment. How many days it has been you finished the course?

If you just completed the dose today or yesterday, I suggest you to complete the course of pylera with omeprazole for another 10 days and this time full dose as prescribed earlier. The bug probably has responded to the earlier doses as well. If you have finished the course well before a week or 2 week, then wait to complete at least 4 weeks, and then test for H pylori stool antigen. if then it would be present, we can consider giving you treatment.

Otherwise if you really want to take the another course without testing it, then you can use

Cap Amocillin 1 gm twice daily Tab Clarithromycin 500 mg twice daily with Omeprazole 40 mg once daily all for 10 days.

|