Q. My son is suffering from corneal abrasion. Is there anything else to help him?

Answered by
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
and medically reviewed by Dr.Nithila A
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 08, 2019

Hello doctor,

My son is 12 years old. Today in school another student threw a gift card (credit card size) which got stuck in his eye. He immediately experienced some internal eye bleeding and diplopia. He saw the urgent care MD who put dye in his eye and diagnosed a corneal abrasion and prescribed Erythromycin ointment four times daily. Should he consult an Ophthalmologist as well and what other treatment may be needed?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I am very sorry to hear that your son is injured. But, rest assured that such things are quite common and corneal abrasions usually heal in about five to seven days without any further harm. I suggest that you continue with the Erythromycin ointment and make sure that your son does not go out in sunny, windy or dusty environments. If necessary dark goggles can be worn temporarily for extra protection. I recommend that you see an Ophthalmologist in case of the following:

1. If there are pain and watering that does not improve with the Erythromycin Ointment.

2. If the redness is not reducing.

3. If there is a drop in vision. I hope this helps you.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Why are my eyes sore after using contact lenses?

Query: Hi doctor, I accidentally put a daily contact for astigmatism in my eye, but I do not have astigmatism. I took it out right after because it really hurts. But, my eyeball is still sore. Could it have caused damage?  Read Full »

I have an eye pain after I got hit by a toy bullet. Do I need to visit a doctor?

Query: Hello doctor, I have severe pain in and around the eye after I got hit by a toy gun bullet unexpectedly. There is a slight redness in the cornea and a pricking sensation below the eye ball.  Read Full »

What happens to the dust that enters the eye? Will it affect the eyesight in the future?

Query: Hi, What happens to the dust that enters the eye? Does it go into the eyeballs? Will it affect the eyesight in the future?  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Eye Care Ophthalmologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.