Q. My son is suffering from corneal abrasion. Is there anything else to help him?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

My son is 12 years old. Today in school another student threw a gift card (credit card size) which got stuck in his eye. He immediately experienced some internal eye bleeding and diplopia. He saw the urgent care MD who put dye in his eye and diagnosed a corneal abrasion and prescribed Erythromycin ointment four times daily. Should he consult an Ophthalmologist as well and what other treatment may be needed?

#

I am very sorry to hear that your son is injured. But, rest assured that such things are quite common and corneal abrasions usually heal in about five to seven days without any further harm. I suggest that you continue with the Erythromycin ointment and make sure that your son does not go out in sunny, windy or dusty environments. If necessary dark goggles can be worn temporarily for extra protection. I recommend that you see an Ophthalmologist in case of the following:

1. If there are pain and watering that does not improve with the Erythromycin Ointment.

2. If the redness is not reducing.

3. If there is a drop in vision. I hope this helps you.

| 

Why are my eyes sore after using contact lenses?

Query: Hi doctor, I accidentally put a daily contact for astigmatism in my eye, but I do not have astigmatism. I took it out right after because it really hurts. But, my eyeball is still sore. Could it have caused damage?  Read Full »

I have an eye pain after I got hit by a toy bullet. Do I need to visit a doctor?

Query: Hello doctor, I have severe pain in and around the eye after I got hit by a toy gun bullet unexpectedly. There is a slight redness in the cornea and a pricking sensation below the eye ball.  Read Full »

What happens to the dust that enters the eye? Will it affect the eyesight in the future?

Query: Hi, What happens to the dust that enters the eye? Does it go into the eyeballs? Will it affect the eyesight in the future?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»