Q. Even after getting treated for H. pylori, I have indigestion and gas. What to do?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 06, 2021

I was diagnosed with erosive gastritis last year. After ten days, I took PPI for H.pylori. I thought that I am completely alright. After three months, I started to have indigestion issues again. Then I started taking Famotidine for eight to nine months. Still, I have indigestion and gas issues. I am using herbal supplements and they are giving some relief. Does my gastritis is caused due to H.pylori or stress? Should I need to do another endoscopy? Do I need to follow a good diet for getting cured completely? I am taking herbal supplements like DGL licorice and slippery elm. I want to have normal digestion. I did a test for H.pylori and it showed me a negative result. Kindly help.

#

Please mention when you did H.pylori (Helicobacter pylori) blood test. If you tested it last year, then you have a high possibility that your erosive gastritis did not occur secondary to H.pylori. It occurred due to other causes like biliary gastritis, and drug-induced erosions. Stress does not cause ulcers. If you have a negative result for H.pylori, then it shows that you had erosions due to H.pylori and you have treated it successfully. At this moment, your symptoms seem to occur secondary to excessive gases and it is not due to recurrence of H.pylori infection and erosive gastritis. It is common to have gas and bloating after taking an antibiotic course. I suggest you do a test for H.pylori through stool antigen testing. For now, start taking tablet Ondansetron 8 mg thrice daily half an hour before meals. Stop taking licorice as it is not good for the digestive system.

You seem to have a recurrence of H pylori (Helicobacter pylori) infection, functional dyspepsia, post prandial distress syndrome, or dysbiosis.

You need to do tests for H.pylori through stool antigen testing.

Have a follow-up at any time.

|