Q. I have a large bruise at the back of left thigh along with some smaller bruises. Please help.

Dr. Rishav Bansal

I woke up a few days ago with a large bruise on the back of my left thigh. Unsure of how this happened, as I do not remember or have knowledge of hitting this area. I was drinking heavily the night before but do not believe this is a reason for the bruise. I have been working out a lot last week and possibly thought it could be a muscle bruise. I am more concerned with the shape and placement of the bruise and effective area of smaller bruises around the larger one. I have never got random bruises. I do suffer from anxiety and this is making it factor right about now. I am currently on Prozac.

#

I have seen the attachment. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your bruise is clearly due to hematoma. You should get a USG (ultrasound) of your thigh. Take some rest and bruise will disappear gradually. Also, if there is severe pain at that location, then x-ray should also be done to rule out any fracture.

Muscle tear.

USG of left thigh. X-ray of left femur AP (anteroposterior) and lateral.

Muscle tear. Femur fracture.

Take rest.

Review after the USG report.

Is this something I need to be concerned about any underlying medical issues? I have never had this before and I am scared. With COVID-19 I cannot really get my tests or scans done.

#

If your pain is under control, you can wait and watch. Bruise should improve gradually over one or two weeks. In case, you experience severe pain or your bruise is rapidly expanding, you may need to get your testing done. During this pandemic, you can wait for a few days and decide accordingly.

Any other medical issue is unlikely in your case.

|