Q. Hemoglobin, RBC, and WBC are going down rapidly. What can be the reason?

Published on Jun 27, 2018

My husband's hemoglobin is 3.7 g/dL, but the hemoglobin level was 5 g/dL when we checked it two days back. His RBC and WBC are also going down. What can be the reason?

Hematology Pathology
#

Your husband's hemoglobin and WBC count are going down very fast, it is not normal. For such low hemoglobin levels, blood transfusion is needed immediately.

A peripheral smear examination should be done, to look for schistocytes like fragmented RBC and normoblast count.

Reticulocyte count, serum LDH (lactate dehydrogenase), serum bilirubin, etc., need to be checked. These reports will rule out hemolytic anemia, which causes hemolysis, leading to a rapid decrease in hemoglobin.

Hypersplenism and blood septicemia (blood infection), can suppress the bone marrow, which can also be presented like this.

A blood DCT (direct Coombs test) has to be done, to look for autoimmune hemolytic anemia.

For hemoglobinopathy induced low hemoglobin, Folic acid and Hydroxyurea are given.

So, consult a nearby physician as soon as possible, to identify the cause, clinical and physical examinations need to be done.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

My baby's bilirubin levels are above 21. Is he at risk for cerebral palsy?

Query: Hello doctor,I was recently blessed with a baby boy. This week, I just took him to the hospital to check if he had jaundice, as he seemed too sleepy and the bilirubin levels came to 21.80 on the eighth day. I do not know at which rate the levels were being raised. The doctor immediately put him unde...  Read Full >>

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello doctor, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand the situation you are going through. Yes, it is definitely a high level of bilirubin. There will be proper guidelines laid down regarding the management of jaundice in newborn which doctors will follow. If the levels are too high and fall in the ex...  Read Full

Why the bilirubin level is elevated consistently since three months?

Query: Hi doctor, Three months back, I started feeling feverish, but thermometer readings were normal. I went to a doctor and he ran a series of tests. Everything came out fine, except mild hepatomegaly and elevated conjugated bilirubin. My bilirubin is elevated consistently for the past three months (tota...  Read Full >>

Dr. Bindiya Thakkar
Endocrinologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your laboratory reports (attachments removed to protect patient identity). All values are excellent, except total bilirubin which is at upper normal level which could be due to fatty liver. I would suggest you to avoid fatty and spicy foods as well ...  Read Full

Can I take Hydroxyurea for thrombocythemia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 25 years old. I have been diagnosed with essential thrombocythemia. The reasons are elevated platelet count (about 700,000 to 900,000 platelets per microliter of blood), positive JAK2 V617F mutation analysis, etc. There are different opinions coming from doctors in my country. Av...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your situation through which you are going. I have reviewed your query and below is my advice for your case. Usually, in case of essential thrombocythemia, there is no need to undergo treatment with Hydroxyurea in all case of ET. It is myeloprolifera...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now