Q. Kindly suggest a good medicine to increase hemoglobin quickly.

Published on Sep 30, 2018

My father is 62 years old. We need good medicine to increase his hemoglobin quickly. His CBC report has hemoglobin with 9.9 g/dL, WBC of 38000 WBC per microliter, and platelets of 1,90,000.

Hematology Pathology
#

I have gone through the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The hemoglobin level can be increased with ferrous ascorbate tablet along with good elemental iron. Take tablet Orofer (Ferrous ascorbate with Folic acid). Now moving on to the main concern, your CBC report shows high absolute lymphocyte count and smudge cells are also present. You have to rule out chronic lymphoid leukemia. I suggest you investigate with flow cytometry investigation which can exclude CLL (chronic lymphoid leukemia) if present.

High Hemoglobin Levels: Is It Dangerous?

Article Overview: High hemoglobin levels or polycythemia can be due to smoking, dehydration, or heart problems. This article describes the types and treatment options for polycythemia. Read Article

Dr. Kks
Hematologist

When Is the Hemoglobin Level Considered to Be High? According to the conventional definition, it is considered as high hemoglobin when levels are more than 18.5 g/dL for men and 16.5 g/dL for women. High hemoglobin levels are associated with high hematocrit (also called as PCV) levels which are def...  Read Article

Should I avoid folic acid during MTHFR pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 5 weeks pregnant and I have MTHFR and PAI mutations. My doctor recommended me to take Folic acid. I read it should be avoided during MTHFR pregnancies. Along with that I am on Prozac and Euthyrox. What do you think? What should I do? Please help.  Read Full »

Am I a beta-thalassemia carrier with the hemoglobin A2 level of 4.3?

Query: Hello doctor, I was just wondering for a second opinion on some results which I have received being 8+4 weeks pregnant. My FBC was normal but my hemoglobin A2 Level is 4.3 and it says the normal range is 1.5 to 3.6. But I just wanted to know if this definitely means I am a carrier of beta-thalassem...  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now