Q. How important is Folic acid during pregnancy?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I am currently pregnant seven weeks now. I had a missed miscarriage eight months back. I used to drink cheap Folic acid and Pregomega. I drank Pregomega up until the end of the last month. I stopped drinking the cheap Folic acid and started Inofolic on the first of last month. When I contacted my gynecologist, he said I must stop taking all medication until my eight weeks appointment. Is this fine? I stopped the Pregomega, but I am still taking Inofolic as I know how important Folic acid is for the baby's growth.

#

A pre-pregnancy Folic acid requirement is there. Actually Folic acid is best to start three months in advance before conception. As soon as the lady misses her first period, an initial base of central nervous system had already been kept as neuropores close before 28 days of the menstrual cycle even before confirming pregnancy in most of the ladies. So Folic acid is best to take three months periconceptually.

In early eight weeks, Folic acid supplements are better to have. From the start, if pregnancy hemoglobin should be normal as in advanced pregnancy due to physiological changes there could be more reduction to hemoglobin so more Iron oral and dietary supplements are required. Calcium with Vitamin D is needed also in few ladies. Have a balanced diet with lots of fruits, vegetables and plenty of water. Have complete treatment of any health issue you have. Have recreational activities and quit recreational drugs. Hemoglobin needs to be maintained in the future period of pregnancy.

| 

Should I avoid folic acid during MTHFR pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 5 weeks pregnant and I have MTHFR and PAI mutations. My doctor recommended me to take Folic acid. I read it should be avoided during MTHFR pregnancies. Along with that I am on Prozac and Euthyrox. What do you think? What should I do? Please help.  Read Full »

What is causing frequent miscarriages?

Query: Hello doctor, I have had four miscarriages in a row. One had a subchronic hematoma. Is there a reason for this or a way to stop? I have given live births but now I cannot keep a child. What can I do?  Read Full »

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»