Q. What are the ways to manage hemoglobin and sugar level in a diabetic patient?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
Published on Jan 20, 2020

I am opening up a new subscription under you, so that I can chat more easily. I request you to follow our discussions from previous records. To remind again, this query is for my mother. Age-47, she is on her regular medicines for above mentioned conditions. However, recently her hemoglobin levels fell to 7.8. After consulting a doctor in my local area, she is taking iron pills. The problem is with her fluctuations in Diabetes readings and haemoglobin levels. I am attaching the recent conducted reports below-

1. Blood sugar level + Hb

2. Cbc + Lipid profile

3. Urine culture

4. Thyroid panel

My query is to what can be done to improve her diabetes readings and hemoglobin levels. It will be highly helpful if you elaborate the necessary steps to be taken including types of medicines that are to be taken.

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetology General Practitioner
#

I have seen the medicine list being taken by her (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Of those drugs ROXCEF is an antibiotic to be given for a very limited period may be 5 days or so. BIO D 3 strong is also not needed on continuous basis, unless she has any specific neuropathy problems or any such complaints. Is there a to speak to you so that I can clarify a few things in one go. For her diabetes I feel Glycomet G2 once a day (instead of Voglibose containing tablet) once a day with DYNAGLIPT-M is enough. Rest of the medicines are to be continued.

| 

Do you think that her doctor has prescribed a lot of unnecessary medicine? Are there any harmful effects of taking such drugs on a long term basis?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetology General Practitioner
#

I am not saying that the doctor has prescribed her excessive medications. But ROXICEF is an antibiotic has to be taken for a period of 5 to 7 days or so, depending upon the severity of infection. I do not know why she is taking it continuously. BIO D3 Strong is a multivitamin combination, needed again for a specific period. For building up hemoglobin iron preparation has to be taken for over 6 months. Thyroxine is a lifetime treatment.

For her diabetes as I had mentioned you may shift to the drugs I have suggested. I hope you are getting my point. So if there is no infection Roxicef can be discontnued, same is the case with BIO D3 strong, for some days.

| 

My hemoglobin levels are high. Do I need to worry?

Query: Hello doctor,My hemoglobin is 17.3, and total RBC is 6.32. The homocysteine is at 45.3. Is it normal or do I need to worry?  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

Ask a Diabetologist Now