Q. I have constipation and burning sensation while passing stool. Is it caused due to hemorrhoids?

Dr. Utkarsh Sharma
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 13, 2021

I have a problem with my anus. I can see a lump of skin and I feel that my anus remains open. I have constipation and a burning sensation while passing stool.

#

I understand your concern and I will definitely help you with it. The symptoms that you have mentioned indicate the possibility of hemorrhoids (piles). It occurs due to swollen vascular tissue of the anus. Do not be worried. Around 75 percent of people suffer from hemorrhoids at some point in life. Most of the time, it appears worse than the actual condition. You seem to have an early grade 1 hemorrhoid. Early hemorrhoids (initial grade) can be treated by having healthy bowel habits and a healthy diet. Try to have an aim to get rid of constipation and maintain healthy bowel habits. It is a process and it will take time. Do not strain and always respond to nature calls. Do not sit in the toilet for long hours. Increase dietary fiber in your meals when you are constipated. Taking soluble fiber in banana, papaya, and mango helps a lot. You can take psyllium husk (isabgol) for constipation and it is helpful. Take a sitz bath when the swelling is external and painful. Use an ointment (like shield ointment) containing Phenylephrine, Allantoin, and Hydrocortisone before 30 minutes of having a bowel movement. It reduces your pain and swelling if you have it. Walk for atleast 30 minutes regularly. It helps a lot. I suggest you incorporate these changes at the earliest otherwise the condition may become worse over time and it can cause bleeding as well. All the best and take care.

|