Isabgol

How to treat constipation in an 88-year-old?

Query: Hello doctor, An 88 year old woman approaches the pharmacist seeking a recommendation. She has been suffering from constipation for the past several weeks and has not found relief with the remedies she has tried, including eating prunes and using a daily fiber supplement. On reviewing her pharmacy p...  Read Full »

Dr. Arul Amuthan

Ayurveda Specialist, Naturopathy Specialist, Pharmacologist, Siddha Medicine Specialist, Toxicologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned many drugs that can cause constipation by reducing intestinal peristalsis or by reducing the secretion into colon. For example, beta blockers used for hypertension can reduce the colon peristalsis and result in constipation. So, in this case, w...  Read Full »

Why do I vomit if I drink too much liquid on an empty stomach?

Query: Hi doctor, Nearly two years ago, I got a bad cold and vomited badly. It continued for days leading me unable to hold down any foods or liquids until I checked into the hospital and given IVs, which made me better. However, since then, I am more prone to getting close to vomiting if I drink too much...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The infection you are suffering from is called gastroenteritis or stomach flu. In gastroenteritis, the mucosa of the intestine is severely inflamed causing symptoms like loose stools, indigestion, and vomiting. The tests suggested are as follows: Ultrasound abdomen to ...  Read Full »

Do vitamin D supplements worsen constipation?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 30 year old male. I have vitamin D deficiency of about 6.51 ng/mL. Also, I am suffering from severe constipation with very slow bowel movement. Currently, I am taking ayurveda medicine for the fissure. Can vitamin D supplement make constipation worse? Please help me.  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Vitamin D supplement has to be taken once a week. The most easily available one is capsule Uprise D3 60 k. Now for constipation, I would suggest you the following: Get a thyroid function test done as hypothyroidism might be the cause behind the constipation that you ar...  Read Full »

I have hemorrhoid on the inner thigh. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have hemorrhoid at the anus along with pain in inner thigh muscles.  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I guess you do not have pain at anus while passing stools. Is there anything which comes out of anus during straining? It is better to get it confirmed by a local doctor by examination regarding the diagnosis. Hemorrhoids as such are not life-threatening. The problems ...  Read Full »

What causes fleshy growth outside anus?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old female with no past medical history. I experienced constipation for some days, and I saw blood in my stools. I found this small fleshy growth on the anus, which hurts after passing motion. The pain ceases after a few hours. This fleshy growth retracts inside when I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Arvind Guru

General Surgeon, Surgical Gastroenterologist, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It shows old hemorrhoids called as skin tags. This picture, along with the pain that you are describing is suggestive of anal fissure. This is a tear in the wall of the anus, at the bas...  Read Full »

Are irregular periods and the feeling of incomplete bowel emptying related?

Query: Hi doctor, Over the past 3 months, my periods have become irregular. It was regular throughout my life. I faced spotting between periods and had been detected with a submucosal fibroid of 2 cm. For the past 3 months, I feel in the morning after passing bowels, that my bowel has not cleared. This f...  Read Full »

Dr. Viral Dineshchandra Vyas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand that your periods are irregular and you have a feeling of incomplete evacuation of bowel. This type of combination is seen in hypothyroidism. So you need to check your thyroid function after consulting a physician. These two problems can also be totally unr...  Read Full »

Please suggest medicine for anal fissure.

Query: Hi doctor,I am a 26 year old female. I am having anal fissure and some crack in the anus. I am bleeding when I go to the toilet. It is very much painful. Please help me and suggest some medicine for this. Thank you.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I suggest you the following medicines for anal fissure. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent: 1) Intra-anal 0.2% Nitroglycerin twice daily for six weeks. 2) Use Ispaghol husk in warm water. Add one tablespoon in 1-1/2 glas...  Read Full »

Is it true that there is no cure for functional dyspepsia?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20 year old male, I have a constant and mild abdominal pain whole day, especially in the morning. I feel heavy all day long, but still, have an urge to eat. I fart and belch more than usual and have a foul smell. I have a sense of indigestion in my stomach all day long. I defecate...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, you are not sick, and you do not have any disease. Your symptoms are because of your disturbed gastrointestinal flora, and our intestine contains a lot of bacteria, some of them are good, and some of them are bad. Good bacteria like lactobacillus helps in proper...  Read Full »

What could be the tear in anus after anal sex?

Query: Hi doctor, I got married recently and tried anal sex. Because of it there is a small tear in her anus. This incident happened 3 weeks back. She does not have any pain while motion and also there is no blood or white mucus in the stool. But, she feels a flesh strand (like thread) at her anus opening...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditi Gupta Jha

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, it looks like your wife had an anal fissure, due to the tear. You should have a look at the strand that is hanging from the anus and locate it and then consult me. Depending on that, we should be able to better help her. However, it is most im...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have pain and tightness post hemorrhoidectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I had hemorrhoidectomy before six weeks. I still feel some pain and tightness while sitting. Is this normal after six weeks? I think I have anal stenosis. Stool is difficult to pass even when soft. Always have to strain and never passes naturally. I know I have a hard scar tissue. I...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. No, this is not normal. Pain could be due to fissure and stenosis of the anal opening, but it needs a physical examination to confirm it. I would suggest drinking lots of water, have fiber diet and chew the bolus properly to avoid constipation. You can also try any stool...  Read Full »