Q. I have painful hemorrhoids with difficulty in passing stools. How to get treated?

Dr. Sosela Rrusho
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 25, 2021

I am a 21-year-old female. Over the last few days, suddenly, I developed very painful hemorrhoids. I have difficulty in passing stools. How can I treat this at home as I am isolating? Kindly help me.

#

I understand your concern with hemorrhoids. Since you are isolated, my first advice is not to stay seated for a long time (do not stay in a position that gets too much pressure in the anal area) walk in the house.

Other things that can help with hemorrhoids are:

1) Increased insoluble fiber intake can help (plums, kiwis, peas, beans, whole grains).

2) Drink six to eight glasses of water daily to modify stool form and firmness.

3) Stool softeners or low-dose laxative therapy can be used in fiber and fluid provide insufficient improvement in stool form and firmness.

4) Consider behavior modifications, including avoiding straining and prolonged time on the toilet (avoid straining and reading while in the bathroom).

5) Good perianal hygiene, which can be facilitated by a warm sitz bath once or twice a day.

6) Increasing exercise, always if your general health allowed it.

In case that despite all of this advice, you will not improve, then use some topical treatments (local anesthetic ointment, mild astringents such as Witch Hazel (Hamamelis Virginiana), and corticosteroid cream). However, do not use corticosteroid in the long term because it may cause thinning of the perianal skin. The best solution is to visit a doctor, but since you are isolated, please let me know if you have further questions. I hope this was helpful.

|