Q. Can I get hepatitis B from sharing a toothbrush?

Dr. Purva Jingar

Hello doctor,

I used my friend's toothbrush. I wanted to know about the risks of getting a hepatitis B infection from it. My gums bleed sometimes, but not often. How much blood would need to be on the tooth brush for me to be affected? I did not see it on the brush. I am just being paranoid and I do not know if she even has it.

#

• It is not hepatitis B you need to worry about. But, there is a chance of getting her bacteria in your mouth. Do not overthink. It is a normal gum bleed caused due to poor oral hygiene.

Wish you good health and happiness. Keep me updated with the improvements. Regards.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I was wondering if it would be transmitted even if there was no blood visible to the eye. Or should there be quite a lot to transmit the virus? Any information would be great. There is a lot of scary information on the internet.

#

I suggest you do not search online for your conditions as often it can lead to false information.

• To transmit any disease, your blood, as from the bleeding gums, is enough to get the virus. It does not matter if it is visible or not.
  • But, I think you are overthinking. If you still have the bleeding gums, then I would suggest you visit a dentist and get your teeth cleaned. Also, maintain oral hygiene with a mouth rinse.

This will help you a lot. Wish you good health and happiness. Keep me updated with the improvements.

I know I am overthinking. I did not mean that bleeding gums were a sign of hepatitis B. What I meant is, could I get the virus from my friend's toothbrush if there were no visible signs of blood on it when I used it?

#

• No, you cannot get it from brushing. You are safe. Without having blood going directly to your blood vessel, you cannot get hepatitis B.

Relax. Wish you good health and happiness. Keep me updated with the improvements.

|