Q. Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state?

Published on Aug 17, 2018

Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state? For example, it dried on a surface and you touch it with another dry object or with dry hands. I understand if you wet the dry blood to clean it up it can transfer but I am talking in a strictly dry state. I was told it is not transferable once dried if it is touched or brushed against by other objects. I am wondering because if you touch it when it is wet with hands or another object and transfer the undried blood to other areas of the home without knowing it. I would be concerned about touching the blood after it has dried without knowing it is there.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

No, once it has dried, virus is not transmitted and cannot spread the disease when it comes in contact with intact skin. Also, with drying, virus gets inactivated. Even in wet state, just contact of blood with intact skin (not mucosa), unlikely to transmit the virus as skin act as a barrier for transmission.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Does rewetting the dried blood extend the life of the virus or will it still die within three weeks? I may have touched some dried blood with wet hair and then laid on my pillow. I just want to confirm that this will not extend the life of the virus outside the body. I know it can live in dried blood for up to three weeks so I want to make sure it will not still be there.

#

Yes, theoretically virus life should be prolonged, although we do not have any definitive studies to demonstrate this practically. Additionally, wetting will reduce the temperature of the dried blood and can prolong their lives. But, in your case, we do not know how effectively the blood was mixed with water in order to effectively prolong their lives. Also, infectivity of dried blood is usually less and intact skin is unlikely to transmit it. However, you may get yourself tested in order to clear the doubt and negative test will confirm the things. Overall, the possibility of transmission is very less in your setting. Practically in additional to literature, in our hospitals, many a time even a wet blood comes in contact with intact skin with many workers and colleagues, but it has not resulted in a transmission.

Three weeks for the blood being left in my house and my wet hair just touched it.

#

I do not think you need to worry about it, but if the blood was present in the house then it is better to get tested once, especially, if you are not sure regarding the other modes of transmission. But, regarding this discussion, the probability is very low.

How long should I wait before getting tested, given the blood was in the house and the possible rewetting of it today?

#

At four weeks, you should get HCV RNA levels done. After four weeks, along with SGOT and SGPT. Although this is enough in most of the individuals, rare cases may be missed, so the test is repeated at four months, where we do HCV RNA and anti-HCV antibodies, SGOT and SGPT.

What is the chance of transmitting TB to partner after completion of medicine?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pulmonary TB and this is the third month since taking medicine. I had blood in sputum few times and sputum test showed negative but based on CT scan, the doctor suspected pulmonary TB. I was recommended medicine for six months. I am feeling better after taking medicine and...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq. com. I would need to know that have you got a repeat sputum test or chest X-ray after the treatment has started. I need to see that before I could answer your questions.  Read Full

Nipah Virus: Stay Safe from This Deadly Disease

Article Overview: This article talks about Nipah Virus (NiV) which, according to World Health Organization has the potential to cause the next big disease outbreak on the lines of the H1N1 virus, Ebola virus, and Zika virus. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
General Medicine Physician

An infection due to Nipah virus was first reported in a village called Sungai Nipah in Malaysia in 1998. Hence, it got its name from the location. It is a newly emerging zoonosis, meaning, it spreads from animals to humans. The hosts are fruit bats (Pteropus genus), birds, and domestic animals such ...  Read Article

What does it mean if I tested positive for hepatitis C?

Query: Hello doctor,I am hepatitis C positive with IgM + IgG of 14.2. This test was conducted five years ago. What is the significance of this? I have full medical test including LFT from two months back including sonography where things were normal. Do I need to worry about this? Does it require a treatme...  Read Full >>

Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to get the hepatitis C quantitative assay (RNA level) done and need to get treatment depending upon that. There is no need to worry. Your other labs are fine (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But please be under the strict follow-up of a nea...  Read Full