Q. Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state?

Answered by Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hepatitis C or Disease Transmission? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Can hepatitis C be transferred if the blood is in a dried state? For example, it dried on a surface and you touch it with another dry object or with dry hands. I understand if you wet the dry blood to clean it up it can transfer but I am talking in a strictly dry state. I was told it is not transferable once dried if it is touched or brushed against by other objects. I am wondering because if you touch it when it is wet with hands or another object and transfer the undried blood to other areas of the home without knowing it. I would be concerned about touching the blood after it has dried without knowing it is there.